Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hennie7864
Frequent Visitor

The following system error occurred: The user name or password is incorrect.

Hi, 

I've  a problem with the Enterprise gateway. As it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Can some one show me some interesting links on how to solve the error : The following system error occurred:  The user name or password is incorrect. (Profiler)

Configuration:

PowerBI, Gateway, Tabular model.

We turned UPN Mapping on. How can we check if it is the right UPN?

It seems that the report refreshes with the same account (of the dataset?). How to refresh under current user?

Hennie

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hennie7864,

The effective username is passed to the gateway and then onto your on-premises Analysis Services server each time a user interacts a report connected to Analysis Services. The email address that you use to sign in Power BI with is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. This email address should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory Domain, if a match cannot be found, the above error could occur.

You can use the following command from your workstation to find out the UPN for your account, if the UPN doesn't match the email address you sign into Power BI with, you can use “Map user names” feature to solve  this issue. For more details, please review this article.

whoami /upn

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I login to powerbi.com with myname@xxx.onmicrosoft.com account but my UAN is myname@xyz.local.I am the administrator on SSAS Tabular model instance .I have setup on-premise data gateway on SSAS server and mapped UPN .I still get the The user name or password is incorrect when trying to connect to SSAS from powerbi.com.Everything is fine if i connect using PowerBi Desktop.Is there a way to capture what effective user name was passed from powerbi.com and how its is trying to connect to SSAS instance 

Appreciate any help !

I'm facing the same problem, the description follows the previous posts to the letter. Is there any solution found for this problem?

Appreciate any progress or observations made on this!

Make sure that you have set the Mapping for the users.

image.png

As well as putting in the mapping from the UPN to the domain name.

And then finally ensuring that in your Roles on your SSAS Servers, you have the same domain names in the Roles?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors