Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Suddenly showing (Blank) instead of blank

I have a couple of matrix visuals on a report where the values will always either be 1, -1, or blank. Blank has always shown as an actual blank line, white space, until today. Now all the blank spots have "(Blank)" in them. I haven't changed anything in my report, so I have to assume this is some sneaky little update to the service that screwed this up. It makes all my users think the report is broken. I don't see anything in the format menus that would allow me to fix this. How do I make it display correctly again?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Ok. Seems in new build 13.0.1500.251 this bug is fixed now.

bug.png

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi KHorseman,

Could you please verify that if the issue occurs in Table visual or Matrix visual? I am able to reproduce your issue in Table Visual but not in Matrix visual, I will report the issue internally and post back once I get any updates. Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Currently, you can work around this issue using the method that ankitpatira provides. Also check the following similar thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Tables-in-online-service-showing-blank/m-p/38884#U38884

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@ankitpatira I cannot use that workaround. I need to show the blanks. There are two measures in the table. On each row it will return either -1 or blank in one column and either -1 or blank in the other column. Rows that are blank using one measure will be -1 with the other, so if I filter out blanks for one measure, that will completely filter out all results from the other measure.

blanks.PNG

@v-yuezhe-msft oops, yeah it's a table not a matrix.

@jcarville unfortunately no, that will not work for me. These are not columns in a data model table. They are measures arranged on a table visual. Specifically they are two versions of the same basic distinctcount measure filtered on mutually exclusive criteria. Actually the example I showed is a distinctcount subtracted from 0 because I want a negative number but that's kind of irrelevant. Anyway it's a distinctcount of the field I am using as rows in the table visual, so each row context feeds the measure a table consisting of only that row, and the measure's filter criteria either exclude that one row giving an empty table and a distinctcount of "blank" or the filter criteria matches that one row and the distinctcount is  1.

It looks like my only options are 1) change to a different visual, 2) try to rewrite those two measures (and 5 others in the same report, and 12 in other reports) and hope that by explicitly telling the measure to return BLANK() that will get it to format properly, or 3) wait and hope that the Power BI team fixes this bug. If it's not a bug then I'd like to know what problem the developers were solving by changing this, because it's certainly not a change I've seen anyone asking for. It just seems like an arbitrary change for no reason with no warning, which really undermines my attempts to get my company to accept and adopt this reporting tool.

I'm having exactly the same issue, I'm using measures and customer is complaining about those blank space, it looks great PBIDesktop, but online it's awful!!! Did u have any lucky on this?

No. None of the suggested workarounds apply to my situation and I have not seen any news indicating that this is being fixed. I don't even know for certain if the developers consider this a bug that needs to be fixed in the first place, or if they have some reason why they think that this is the way it should work.

Shame, I also need this so urgently, nothing worked for me as well, as this is not a column, it's a measure, I couldn't replace the blank fro 0 or -, I've also tried using IF on another measure to replace, but didn't work as well, so I've also sent them a frown. Let's see if we can get something from it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KHorseman

@michellefs_br

Have you tried changing it to a text measure?  Essentially make an IF statement but instead of directly telling it to be BLANK(), tell it to be "" instead. 

Please mark it as a solution or give a kudo if it works for you, otherwise let me know if you run into an issue and I'll do my best to assist. 

Thanks,

Ryan Durkin

If I convert to text, the sum of the values are not going to work, and they need the grand total.

I've tried using matrix, as this is what I wanted initially, but it's also ugly, cause the total will be shown for every row, and if removed, it doesn't show the grand total. Hope they can fix it ASAP

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michellefs_br

Try the following Pattern:

Measure That Solves the GrandTotal Issue:=IF(HASONEVALUE([RelevantColumnToCheck]),IF(ISBLANK([Measure]),"",[Measure]),IF(ISBLANK([Measure]),0,[Measure]))

The HASONEVALUE determines if the row is a grand total row or not. 

Please mark it as a solution or give a kudo if it works for you, otherwise let me know if you run into an issue and I'll do my best to assist. 

Thanks,

Ryan Durkin

@Anonymous it's a numeric measure that needs to total, so no I cannot change it to a text measure. I appreciate the suggestion but this is the fourth or fifth suggested workaround in this thread. None of them work and even if they did I shouldn't have to use them. I should not have to slap a bandaid on dozens of my measures just because the service stopped working correctly. This is a bug and it just needs to be fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not exactly sure why it needs to be numeric, if the options are either 1, -1, or Blank().  If its for sorting, you just as easily could do A, B, "".  If it's for totaling, just have adjust the DAX Formula to follow the HASONEVALUE pattern on FullName and as the alternative instead of using the "" use 0.  Total will still work just fine.  I don't think it'd be considered slapping a bandaid on it per se, but I can understand your frustration on it. If you want more guidance on this I'd be happy to add details, but it doesn't sound like you're looking for solutions or suggestions.

In an attempt to help, I've gone ahead and reported this to the PowerBI team for you.

@Anonymous that does not work.

IF(HASONEVALUE([RelevantColumnToCheck]),IF(ISBLANK([Measure]),"",[Measure]),IF(ISBLANK([Measure]),0,[Measure])) causes the table to display all 500000 names in the entire dataset, not just the dozen or so that should show in this view. I think the pattern you're suggesting forces the measure to conflate 0 and blank, so now every record has a value.

Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Guys! let's don't play with yourself Man Tongue and invent workarounds! we have to convince Power BI team to admit their mistake. 

I agree completely!!!  Why is this taking so long to get fixed?  Extremely frustrating..

Why can't Power BI Team create a emergency fix / update, and everyone reports will look correct again?

Regards, Bob

Tishchenko
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Ok. Seems in new build 13.0.1500.251 this bug is fixed now.

bug.png

This issue is coming back again. Anyone has any idea what's going on here?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yes it seems to have been introduced by latest power bi build. Other users have experienced it too.
One way to hide that is to drop that field which shows (blank) into filters, set filtering to is not blank and that should take (blank) away.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors