Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Stored Credentials being reset to Anonymous

I have mulitple data sources configured in my web service. They are all different endpoints, but the same logic. I use an OData connection to connect to SharePoint Online lists (our lists exceed the lookup column threshold for a sharepoint online list connector). In the past month, these data sources keep failing the scheduled refreshes, giving the error message that reads 'The credentials provided for the OData source are invalid' So I go into Data Source settings, choose 'Edit Credentials' and sure enough, the authentication method shows 'anonymous' instead of 'Oauth2'. SO I change it to Oauth2, sign in using my O365 creds, APply the changes. Then, just for giggles I click 'Edit Credentials' again and its already reverted back to Anonymous. This is obviously why these refreshes keep failing, but I don't know why it is not sticking to Oauth2.

I've tried republishing

I've tried replacing the existing file on the OneDrive and using the 'get data' to navigate and load the file from there.

I've triple checked the stored credentials in the source file

I've opened a ticket with Microsoft...no luck there

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm experiencing the same issue. I cannot have more than one person refresh the dataset as under the Anonymous authentication method the dataset is stated to be configured specifically to myself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing a similar problem, and can date its occurrence to the time when Two-Factor Authentication was turned on for my SharePoint Online sources.   Could this be a factor on your end?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Caitlin_Knox,

I can't reproduce your issue, after I config the credential, it works on myside. Can you share some detail information about this?

>>Then, just for giggles I click 'Edit Credentials' again and its already reverted back to Anonymous.

Based on test, current on service side 'Edit Credentials' seems not contains the feature to remember the last operate.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Steps Recorder

The above link is a steps recorder that I captured the current sequence of navigating to the data source and re-authenticating.

I've tried deleting the Data Source altogether and uploading a fresh source file, reconfiguring but I still get the same error after the first scheduled refresh.

Hi @Caitlin_Knox,

I double check on my datasource settings, it still works.
I'd like to suggest you submit a support ticket for this issue and use "Fiddler" to trace the detail operation steps and send these records to them.

Reference links:

power bi support

Troubleshooting Power BI Gateway - Personal

Fiddler Trace

Fiddler is a free tool from Telerik that monitors HTTP traffic.  You can see the back and forth with the Power BI service from the client machine. This may show errors and other related information.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors