Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Solution to provide to end user link to a local file (pivot table formatted) of the dataset

Hello,

Here my problem.

I'm currently on the edge of implementing Power BI within my company.

Power BI is a great tool, nevertheless on top of providing to end user many visuals in order to dig into the data , I want to keep on providing them a excel file of the dataset (pivot table pre formatted)(not like analyse in excel") so they can have access to visuals or use it easily in Excel.

My idea is to, during reports creation, always think in two directions:

- Create the Power BI dashboard or reports

-  Create the pivot table associated to the Power BI dataset they can access easily.

In a perfect world it would be easy but...

FIRST SOLUTION (currently impossible)

- I create my dataset  / create a Matrix Visual ==> So when clicking on exporting Data , the end user export the data with the formatting and use it .... but .... currently when you export the data, you lose the formatting, and got a tabular mode.. so not a solution (Please Microsoft Team tell me it is under devellopment !)

SECOND SOLUTION

- Use this very elegant solution to refresh a pre formatted file using my dataset (pivot table) ==>

http://www.maassmedia.com/blog/importing-manipulated-data-into-excel-power-bi-vs-tableau/

I tested it and it works !  so now the only problem is. How my end user can have access of it though Power BI?

- in Reports you can add a shape with link but only web URL (http//.....) and my file need to be on a shared folder so (more like \\serverxxx\folder\folder\...)

How do you think i can solve the issue?

I've some ideas : sharepoint, onedrive bussiness, content pack,.... i can't exactly decide (or understand what is possible or not or the most efficient)

Can anybody help me please ?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@cedboumfrancois

If we click the first hyperlink, it will open Excel Online.

If we click the second hyperlink (no ?web= 1 in the end), it will download the excel file.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@cedboumfrancois

If we click the first hyperlink, it will open Excel Online.

If we click the second hyperlink (no ?web= 1 in the end), it will download the excel file.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Great !

Thanks a lot.

cheers

Cédric

Thanks Herbert,

You replied to my both issues .Smiley Happy

Yes one drive is a good solution. Should confirm with the IT administrator it is technically possible (security, already owner of Onedrive licenses through Office 365,etc,..)

If yes, what would happen when end user will click on the hyperlink?

It will open Local Excel or Excel Online?

cheers

Cédric

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@cedboumfrancois

For the export formatting, you can vote the idea here.

For the link problem, you can upload the excel file to OneDrive and use the link as below in the report shape.

Solution to provide to end user link to a local file (pivot table formatted) of the dataset_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Any ideas on how to link to a local file? I couldn't find a solution so far and only found this idea to vote for:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13523046-data-category-for-local-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors