Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Remi_Laf
Frequent Visitor

Slicer works on Desktop, but not well Online

Hello Everyone,

I am currently facing a big problem with my Slicers on my published reports.

On Desktop :

Everything works perfectly fine : when i click on different slicers, data is getting filtered correctly.

On Services (once published) When i click on a slicer, different cases happen :

- Case 1 : some data is filtered, some not and even sometimes it displays the wrong data. e.g : I select a particular month, and it shows another one in a tab.

- Case 2 : It doesn't filter anything even if the slicer is highlited and when i click again on it (unhighlit it), it suddenly filter my data...

- Case 3 : It works during one day, and not the next one

Am I the only one to get this problem ? Any idea about it ?

For information I tried it with the ChicletSlicer and the HierarchySlicer and the native one.

Thank you for your help,

16 REPLIES 16
NeilC
Frequent Visitor

I have some slicers with a slider on Desktop, and these work fine there. Online however, these change to a vertical ticklist. This takes up a different spacing than the Slider, which is more of a horizontal box.

It seems strange that this is a standard visualization on the desktop, but is not fully available in the online version.

I was trying out the new synch of sliders option. Works great in destop and online reports, but is not active in the online dashboard. Wonder if this option will come in later.

Hello, 

Did anone find a solution to this? We've currently have the issue of a slicer not showing up as a drop-down menu.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having a similar issue but it appears on MS Edge and not on Chrome...  I had a client describing strange slicer behavior, he showed me via Skype and then I had him try Chrome. All worked as it should.  I then tried Edge and had the issue.  

dathompson
Frequent Visitor

I know it's very strange, but I don't see these problems with slicers when I publish my report to My Workspace. Whereas the same report has these problems when I publish to other workspaces. Also, in my case, I don't see the problems with the standard, OOB slicer. I'm getting the problems with Attribute Slicer and specifically when I publish the report with some items selected and others unselected.

We'll now I see the problem in My Workspace with another report. So problems occur in My Workspace also. It's really hard to pin down when this problem occurs and when it doesn't. It's very baffling. And very annoying. I wish Microsoft would investigate and fix it.

addaline
Helper I
Helper I

We are experiencing similar issues, too. Slicers are working fine in Power BI Desktop, but then in Power BI Online, they break as described by the OP. Mainly on one report that has a lot of cross-filtering and case statements to make things work. And uses the Chiclet Slicer.

Just to be sure, I changed one other report to use the Chiclet Slicer, and it behaves fine. So it appears more complex filtering (in my case, at least) may contribute to the issue.

Dion

dathompson
Frequent Visitor

I'm experiencing similar behavior with various slicers and cross-filtering. Seems like a bug was recently introduced in the Power BI service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What browser are you using?  Is that browser up to date?  I had a strange issue with a couple of my users and it turned out they were using Internet Explorer 10.  Upgrading them to 11 resolved the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried IE 11, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. Same issue in every browser.

Simular problem today.

When publishing to the service the Header of the slicer is not visible anymore. Quite anoying for yes/no slicers.

But the slicers still work.

br, 

ElsPB-slicerError.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. I spent hours removing the chicklet slicer from all of my reports because it was broken.

Then I found out that it's doing the same thing for the Smart Filter by OKViz as well. So I do not believe it is an issue with the custom visuals, but rather a PowerBI online issue. It works fine on the desktop, but not after it is published.

The workaround is to search for a name in the Smart Filter, then click 'Refresh' at the top of the report.

Kind of embarassing though since I am doing training on this next week and have to teach the workaround in order for these reports to work correctly.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Remi_Laf,

If your report works properly on desktop, I think it should more related to power bi network service.

I can't reproduce the 'case 1', can you please share more detail contents about your issue? It will be help for troubleshooting.

For instance: datesource type, visual type, connection mode, screenshots, result.

#2: For this highlight issue about chiclet slicer, I have reported to power bi team and waiting for fix.(CRI:45860072)

chiclet slicer highlighting

#3:  It sounds like the known refresh issue, perhaps you can take a look at support:

We are experiencing a temporary issue where users who are using web.page function in their queries will not be able to refresh data sets. Engineers have identified the issue and are in the process of applying the fix. Next update by 08/31/2017 13:00 PST

>>For information I tried it with the ChicletSlicer and the HierarchySlicer and the native one.

For compatibility of custom visuals, you can also contact to power bi custom visual team for further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi v-shex,

Thank you for answering. 

Here are some screenshot of the case 1 :

On Power BI OnlineOn Power BI OnlineCommentsComments

1 - Everything works perfectly on desktop

2 - It seems that the table Visal have some problems to show the right data.

Thank you in advance if you have any idea 🙂

Rémi.

Hi @Remi_Laf,

If you can please share the pbix file to test. I I can't reproduce this issue based on your screenshots.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Unfortunately, I cannot share this data to anyone, sorry.

Is there any other way to work on this problem ?

Have you ever heard about any issue on the table visual getting trouble to refresh when using filters ?

Thanks,

Rémi

@Remi_Laf I can't offer anything helpful other than to say I have one user of 10 that are all part of the same security group the dashboard / report is shared with experiancing this strange behavior. His slicer on one report page defaults to only show one user, and the only thing that works is to open the filter section on the right, select all users in the slicer and things on the report page pop back. 

He's the only user like this, and I still haven't figured it out...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors