Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing reports to organization and external users

Hello,

I am currently creating PBI reports and dashboards with a company information about its sales, employees, etc. (sensitive data), and once I deliver it to them, I will have two different type of users:

1. Employees of the organization, that has a Office 365 account, but no a PBI Pro. Will be able to see all the data of part of it depending on the group they belong to (for which I will need to implement RLS security, I assume).
  2. External users of the company without neither Office 365 account nor PBI Pro.

Which is the best approach for this? Since it is sensitive data, I can not publish it to web and make it Public, and the report sharing option in PBI requires PRO account for every viewer; and only I have the Pro account to work on Desktop and then publish the reports.

Regards,

Antonio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Well... Technically your question is about licensing. I see the following options.

1) Pro for every user - this includes external (10/mo)

2) Pro for you + Premium - Free for all end users. Will support external sharing via B2B in near future (1 Pro license + (5k/mo))

3) Pro for you + Premium Embedded (This requires that you have a supported platform like SharePoint Online for easy embedding, or have an application that you would have/build so internal and external users can see the reports outside of Power BI (1 Pro license + (625/mo))

4) Run this on premises in Power BI Report Server. (1Pro license + Premium or SQL EE+SA)

With all the changes to licensing, there is no longer any secure way to share content outside of purchasing a license that supports it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Anonymous Well... Technically your question is about licensing. I see the following options.

1) Pro for every user - this includes external (10/mo)

2) Pro for you + Premium - Free for all end users. Will support external sharing via B2B in near future (1 Pro license + (5k/mo))

3) Pro for you + Premium Embedded (This requires that you have a supported platform like SharePoint Online for easy embedding, or have an application that you would have/build so internal and external users can see the reports outside of Power BI (1 Pro license + (625/mo))

4) Run this on premises in Power BI Report Server. (1Pro license + Premium or SQL EE+SA)

With all the changes to licensing, there is no longer any secure way to share content outside of purchasing a license that supports it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer,

I am in a similar situation to OP with wanting to share Power BI reports and dashboards both internally and externally. I am new to Power BI so have been using the free license to learn with, and understand I will need to upgrade for sharing capability. I will also be the only one 'using' Power BI - I generate the reports and then distribute for viewing only. 

Are the 4 options above still relevant and are these the best ways for sharing? Using these, it looks like we should get premium capacity + a pro license for me, so we could share internally through our SharePoint and externally via B2B. I want to have a clear picture of the sharing methods and what will work best for us prior to selecting our license upgrade. 

Thankyou!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer After checking up the 3rd option, since I have already Sharepoint, I consulted the pricing for Premium Embedded here, and there (for Spain I assume it would be North Europe + Euro) it would be €4.217/100 Sessions, but in your answer, it states 1 Pro (which I already have) + 625 monthly.

Where does this quantity (625 and not 4217) come from? Where can I check that up? Are those 625/mo for unlimited sessions?

Besides that, on the note below, it says "Power BI Embedded is not intended for use within your organization’s internal business applications unless your internal users are also covered by a Power BI Pro User Subscription License (USL).".

By this I assume it will expect for the end users to also have PBI Pro?

Regards,

Antonio

@Anonymous SharePoint Online - gives you the "easy" button ->

I understand your confusion, there are/were two type of embedding. The Developer API's that allowed for internal embedding, and something they used to call "Power BI Embedded" - which only worked for external facing applications. That old method can still be used for existing users for 1 year. Which is why the documentation is still out there, but as of June, MSFT added Premium and along with that announced that all embedding was going to consolidate under one API. But now when anyone looks for Power BI Embedded, all the old stuff still shows up and adds to the confusion.

In any case, This is the link you need, and if you scroll to the bottom on the right you will see "Explore Pricing" - this downloads a white paper with all the details you will need to base a decision.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Seth_C_Bauer Thank you for the explanation and the link, really appreciate it!

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Than you very much @Seth_C_Bauer! I'll dig into options 3 and 4.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors