Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PPK
Frequent Visitor

Sharing reports to external users

Hello

I have a question regarding to report sharing:

- I created an app workspace where I published a report

- I would like to share this report to an external user (not in my organisation)

- I try to add this user to the work space, however I get an error that the e-mail address does not exist in my organisation

- The user has a Power BI Pro license 

- I am able to share a dashboard directly to the user, however it is not possible to browse the reports behind the tiles

Is there a solution to this? Ideally the external user should not be able to modify the reports and thus only be able to browse them.

Thanks

Note: I found this article (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/) stating that external sharing of apps through AAD B2B is part of the roadmap for Power BI. Any update on this?

3 REPLIES 3
bergjm2
Helper I
Helper I

Hi PPK,

Couple of comments/questions.

1. Question - Why are you trying to add the user to the workspace?  That should only be done for users collaborating who need to edit the dashboard or report.  Why don't you just add them to the app in the workspace if you want them to see all of the dashboards and reports - as long as all the reports/dashboards they need to see are included in the app, they will have read only access to them.  

2. When you say " I try to add this user to the work space, however I get an error that the e-mail address does not exist in my organisation", do you get a warning or an error?  I have played around  with this and found that if the user is not added as a user in  Office 365 first, then you will get that error.  Since it is basically adding a user to an Office 365 group, I tried to go into the Office 365 and add an email that is not associated to a user in that tenant, and could not add them their either, so it looks like O365 will only allow O365 users to be added to groups. I have other users from the same external tenant setup as guest users in my tenant for some other testing I am doing, and since they are setup as users in the tenant, they can be added to the workspace.  As you can see below, I have added 2 users from the external jbergteste3 tenant, but I can't add jberg from the jbergteste3 tenant as he is not a user in the "home" tenant jbergtest4, but the other two users are setup as guest users in jbergtest4.

ExternalUserAddIssue.PNG

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PPK,

Is there a solution to this? Ideally the external user should not be able to modify the reports and thus only be able to browse them.

I don't think there is an alternative way to do it currently.

Though I haven't seen any updates on the EXTERNAL SHARING feature of Apps, it's at least on the roadmap now. Smiley LOL

Regards

FYI, the sharing of Apps in Power BI with external users (using Azure B2B guest accounts) is now possible: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors