Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TobiasF
Frequent Visitor

Sharing Report for Worldwide Distribution across Many External Domains - Report visibility problem

Hello,

I am currently working on a project where we have an issue when it comes to sharing reports. The scope of the project is to build up a BI solution for a worldwide distribution of the BI Solution across many external domains. 

We are currently using Power BI PRO License and optimally want to solve it on this level using Dynamic Row Level Security. 

Overview of problem - visibility of shared reports.

Report Sharing - flowchart.JPG

Problem description

When we share our Reports with external domains they get a notification email with a link to the report. Our problem is that the report is not visibile in the external domain users Shared with Me section of Power BI Services nor do they get a Power BI Services notification when a report has been shared with them. They are also unable to add the report to favories in Power BI Services.

This means that they can only access the report via direct link. The link is also not savable in web browser favorites due to truncation of the direct url due to length of the url upon save. This can be worked around via using a url shortening service but is of course not an optimal solution.

Furthermore we have external domain users that report that they get an error message "unable to view report" despite having the correct Power BI PRO License. This effectivly renders it impossible for them to see the shared report.

Suggestions on solution are welcome
I reach out to the Power BI Community to see if you guys have found a solution on how to do this and I would love to hear about solutions and collaborate on best practise implementation of this type of business case in regards to the sharing & distribution of reports.

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@TobiasF

I don't think there's a solution for your scenario since it's by design. If you share a report to users outside of your organization, Power BI will create a temporary account for those users to access this report when they click the link from E-mail, even they already have a Power BI account This is the reason why they can never see these reports from their Power BI Service. 

I suggest you submit a feature request on idea.

Regards,

Thanks for the feedback @v-sihou-msft. I'll go back to the drawing board to see if I can come up with something better.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors