Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MA
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint Report Refresh?

Hello BI-Community,

we have a report embedded in a Sharepoint site. In this report we have a map showing locations of moving objects. The underlying data  (long/lat) is refreshed evey 15 minutes. Our issue, however, is that the positions of the objects do not change in the embedded report unless we refresh the browser window or interact with slicers in the report. Is there a way to keep the information in the report up to date without any user interaction?

KR

MA

15 REPLIES 15
MA
Frequent Visitor

@Jordi

thank you for the info! However, I have yet to make it work. I tried it with "&refresh=1", but the report is still not refreshed one hour after the last data upload. 

However, I might not be using the embedding feature as intended. The MS rep in our company told us not to use the embed code directly in a Sharepoint webpart. Instead, we save the code in a .txt file and display the file in a webpart. Not sure if this is part of the problem, but this is currently our only option. 

Wish you the best and hope you were able to solve your issue with this fix. 

Well didn't help for me neither, still the problem seems to be in the slicer.

Last week I updated the report, adjested all the urls with the refresh paramater, and now my reports are nicely updating.

I hope it works for you too in Sharepoint.

Jordi
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sounds like the exact same problem I am having with my embedded reports, only difference is that I am using publish to web and not sharepoint. (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/publish-to-web-won-t-refresh/td-p/135110)

Besides that, interacting with the slicer doesn't help for me either...

MA
Frequent Visitor

@Jordi

We actually have the same problem. We use the publish to web function to generate the embed code which in turn we put into a Sharepoint web part. Maybe it's because were not using Pro (our IT dep is working on it)....

@MA We use the PRO version (trial) and have the same issue, so my guess is that it is not license related.

MA
Frequent Visitor

@Jordi

I had a discussion with IT today and they are convinced that this is a BI issue, definitely not browser-related. Could be their way to prevent users from circumventing their pay-wall...

Sounds  plausible, but on the other hand would it make it an useless feature and leaves the question why they've implemented it.

But I'm very sure it did work, before I convinced my CEO to buy a monitor and place it central in our organisation.... 😕

I've read it alsewhere, but now I noticed something else:

The report has a slicer in it, and when I change the selection of that slicer report will show the latest data, but only at some selections, and not all. And when I reselect the original value, the older data remains on screen.

MA
Frequent Visitor

You are right about the slicer thing, which is why at first I thought it's a caching issue in Chrome. The only solution seems to be to close the browser tab and re-open, which defeats the purpose of the whole thing. 

Strangly enough, we have webcam footage in our report that appears to be updating in regular intervals (direct URL link).

Got reply from PowerBi/MS:

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 33615073
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

That's good, hopefully they will fix it soon.

MA
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for asking. Please let us know when you get an answer.

I've got response from the Product Team.

The behavior is by design. The users can use an URL parameter refresh with reload interval specified in minutes, e.g.: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=<embedcode>&refresh=5

Strange, I can't recall that I read anything about this function, but hey, going to give it a try 🙂

Can somebody please guide more on this &refresh=5 and when to use 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MA,

According to your description above, I would suggest you try the Auto Refresh extension for refreshing your web pages automatically in this scenario.Smiley Happy

Regards

Thanks for the suggestions, but it seems the issue is not on the browser side. If I update the report and reload the sharepoint page where it is embedded, nothing happens. The only way I can force a refresh is if I select a slicer on the report page and then unselect it to return to the original refreshed view.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors