Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anke
Frequent Visitor

Shared dashboard locked

I shared my dashboard with a user outside my organisation. The other user gets an email with a link to the dashboard. But the dashboard is locked for the other user. There is a lock next to the dashboard title. The dashboard contains Pro-content and the user has a Pro-license. Why is the dashboard locked?

SharedDashboardLocked.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

It appears that the recipient has two accounts. One with a free license and one Pro-license. I shared the dashboard with her free license account. So that was the problem! Sharing the dashboard with her  Pro-account was succesfull.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Kind regards

Anke

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anke,

As far as I know, the lock icon next to the dashboard title just indicates that the dashboard is read-only. All shared reports and content pack dashboards will show the lock icon, because they cannot be edited. So the lock icon is expected here in your scenario.Smiley Happy

Does the user outside your organisation which you share the dashboard with receive any error when view the shared dashboard? Or the shared dashboard just keeps loading without any data shown?

In addition, just note that only your direct recipients can see the shared dashboard. No-one else can see that dashboard, even if they have the link, and your direct recipient has to use the same email address to access that dashboard. If he/she signs up with any other email address, he/she won't have access to the dashboard either.

Regards

Hi,

Thank you for your tips!

So I don't have to worry about the lock Smiley Happy.

The user gets a “Something went wrong!” error when she clicks on one of the visuals in the dashboard.

She signs in with the same email-adress that I shared the dashboard with. 

Kind Regards,

Anke

Hi @Anke,

So I don't have to worry about the lock Smiley Happy.

Yes, the lock icon is ok.Smiley Happy

The user gets a “Something went wrong!” error when she clicks on one of the visuals in the dashboard.

So she can view the shared dashboard, but when she clicks on one of the visuals in the dashboard, she gets an error, right? Is there any detailed error message about "Something went wrong!".

Regards

She can view the dashboard, but in every tile she only sees the Power BI icon.

When she clicks on a visual the error she gets is the following:

Error.PNG

Kind regards

Hi @Anke,

Based on my research, the error above usually occurs when the data source wasn't reachable, or the source may be slow. Have you tried sharing this dashboard to another external user to see if the issue remains?

In addition, I would suggest that you also open a ticket on Power BI Support for better assistance on this issue.Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi,

It appears that the recipient has two accounts. One with a free license and one Pro-license. I shared the dashboard with her free license account. So that was the problem! Sharing the dashboard with her  Pro-account was succesfull.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Kind regards

Anke

mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anke,

Is it possible that the recipient doesn't have permissions to the data?

Is RLS on?

- Michele

Anke
Frequent Visitor

Hi Michele,

No RLS is on. The access to the database is via DirectQuery mode. I also shared the dashboard with a colleague and he can see all visuals.

Anke

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors