Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FrancoisHuard
Frequent Visitor

Share with PowerBI App VS Share Report

Hey guys,

I would like to know what are the advantages do you see from sharing dashboard/report/ds with App versus sharing the asset directly from the app workspace.

Currently, we have 1 App Workspace per department and cannot create new workspace because we are denied at the creation of the office 365 group. I want to make this limitation fall so department can create multiple app workspaces and publish different Power BI App to different audience. I need good benefits from sharing app instead of only sharing from app workspace.

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrancoisHuard

Look at this article for the advantages of Power BI APP

http://radacad.com/ultimate-sharing-strategy-power-bi-apps

Best regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

How do you create the group that you share the app with? Not at all clear in the linked article. 

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FrancoisHuard

Look at this article for the advantages of Power BI APP

http://radacad.com/ultimate-sharing-strategy-power-bi-apps

Best regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am currently looking for a method to be able to send out a link to my organization (internal only) that won't require them to have access, download or sign in, or create an account with Power BI. From your post (link) I was able to read through and see that with Power BI apps it appears you should be able to share with end users with a single link (no registration/login required for Power BI account). Is that the case? If not, do you know of a method to be able to create a dashboard/report and share it internally with my company without them having to sign in or create an account? 

This is what I read from where you posted earlier (Link)

My Thoughts on Power BI Apps

Power BI Apps comes to replace content pack and workspaces with one better solution, and it is very promising. With this new combination, you will have the power of both; You can use workspaces to group the content and give edit access to your power users. And you can also use the content pack to share the content with the end users.

Power BI App is a very new feature, and many updates will come for this shortly, including;

• Disassociating from Office 365 groups.
  • Push app to uses without the need for them to install (get) it.
  • Copying content between workspaces.

Thanks,
Brady

@Anonymous I can't tell if what you are asking is to circumvent licensing, or from a usability perspective. There is no way to share content without a license, the one method "publish to web" exposes your company data to the world... which would likely mean you are breaking all your data security policies if you do it. Alternatively,  the only way you could get users to just "see" a report is by using an embedded license, and embedding the power bi report into a custom application. Then any user can just log into that page, or have it on a company portal and they could see the report without any need to login.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback! I was actually able to find the method of publishing to a custom app to display the reports in an internal app the way I was looking to do in my request. I wasn't concerned about licensing, more the usability of being able to share a report to stakeholders without having them required to log in. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Thanks,
Brady

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brady, can you share your solution?

@FrancoisHuard Discoverability. Using workspaces as a sharing mechanism removes the ability in dashboard and report sharing where a user doesn't have to remember where a report is, they just look it up via search. Interestingly, that would be the same for Apps, but I see those as bigger different buckets. "Executive" reporting, etc. Workspaces, for me, are purely only for the report authoring team/s.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors