Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TristanKuesters
Resolver I
Resolver I

Share dashboard with content from direct power bi connection

Hi,

I use the new preview function of direct power bi service connection to use one datemoduel in different reports.

I know want to share on of these reports and put a chart on a dashboard.

I share now the dashboard, but when the employee access the dashboard he receives the message, something like "one part is not correct" - and when he clicks on the part he get the information "you don't have access!".

Perhaps one importent part: I use RLS on the initial data module which I conntect by using the preview feature.

Any idea?

Best regards, Tristan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TristanKuesters,

First of all, in this preview release of the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

• Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection. Users can (and often do) belong to more than one workspace.
  • Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • When selecting which dataset to connect to in the Power BI service, the search box only applies to workspaces that have been expanded.
  • If you modify the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten.
  • You cannot replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.
  • If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) will no longer work properly or display their visuals.
  • For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.
  • For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you cannot replace the report created on the service and/or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.
  • When you create a report based on dataset using a live connection to the Power BI service, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.
  • Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means you can no longer access that dataset from Power BI Desktop.

BUT the user has access to the original dataset!

What if you share the dashboard that connects to the original dataset, not with content from direct power bi connection?

Regards

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors