Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TristanKuesters
Resolver I
Resolver I

Share dashboard with content from direct power bi connection

Hi,

I use the new preview function of direct power bi service connection to use one datemoduel in different reports.

I know want to share on of these reports and put a chart on a dashboard.

I share now the dashboard, but when the employee access the dashboard he receives the message, something like "one part is not correct" - and when he clicks on the part he get the information "you don't have access!".

Perhaps one importent part: I use RLS on the initial data module which I conntect by using the preview feature.

Any idea?

Best regards, Tristan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TristanKuesters,

First of all, in this preview release of the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

• Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection. Users can (and often do) belong to more than one workspace.
  • Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • When selecting which dataset to connect to in the Power BI service, the search box only applies to workspaces that have been expanded.
  • If you modify the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten.
  • You cannot replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.
  • If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) will no longer work properly or display their visuals.
  • For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.
  • For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you cannot replace the report created on the service and/or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.
  • When you create a report based on dataset using a live connection to the Power BI service, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.
  • Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means you can no longer access that dataset from Power BI Desktop.

BUT the user has access to the original dataset!

What if you share the dashboard that connects to the original dataset, not with content from direct power bi connection?

Regards

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

@TristanKuesters If RLS is applied to the original dataset, then I would expect that RLS is still implemented. If the user does not belong to or has no permissions within the dataset, then they wouldn't be able to see anything. This is just an opinion as I don't see any documentation around it, but it makes the most sense to me.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, this makes also sense to me.

Perhaps it is not implemented yet because of the preview feature?!

Hi @TristanKuesters,

First of all, in this preview release of the Power BI service live connection, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

• Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection. Users can (and often do) belong to more than one workspace.
  • Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • Since this is a live connection, RLS (row- and role-level security), OneDrive for Business, and other such connection behaviors are enforced, just as they are when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.
  • When selecting which dataset to connect to in the Power BI service, the search box only applies to workspaces that have been expanded.
  • If you modify the original shared .pbix file, the dataset and report that is shared in the Power BI service is overwritten.
  • You cannot replace the originally shared report. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish.
  • If you delete the shared dataset in the Power BI service, then other Power BI Desktop (.pbix files) will no longer work properly or display their visuals.
  • For Content Packs, you must first create a copy of a content pack before using it as a basis for sharing a .pbix report and dataset to the Power BI service.
  • For Content Packs from My Organization, once copied, you cannot replace the report created on the service and/or a report created as part of copying a Content Pack with a live connection. Attempts to do so result in a warning that prompts you to rename the file, and publish. In this situation, you can only replace published live connected reports.
  • When you create a report based on dataset using a live connection to the Power BI service, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.
  • Deleting a shared dataset in the Power BI service means you can no longer access that dataset from Power BI Desktop.

What if you share the dashboard that connects to the original dataset, not with content from direct power bi connection?

Regards

This is the answer:

Only users who are part of the same Power BI service workspace can connect to a published dataset using the Power BI service live connection.

The users are actually NOT part of the same workspace!

The original dataset have not the same report pages as the second (connected) report have. Thats of couse one of the big advantages. Create one (!) datamodule and then create several different (!) reports.

@TristanKuesters@v-ljerr-msft I don't think we've gotten to the bottom of this yet. That requierement is for people who can connect, build and publish back to the workspace. From my understanding, this doesn't apply to sharing those reports via a dashboard, it shouldn't matter.

The scenario as I read it is Dataset A was published with RLS, a dashboard was created from reports connected to Dataset A, and the end user could see the reports via the shared dashboard.

Then Dataset A was connected to via the Desktop, new reports were built and published to the Service. A new dashboard was created and shared with the end user, but the end user gets errors when accessing the report.

So, in one instance the Dataset A is working, and in the other it is not. -> Tristan, is this description of things accurate?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Yes, this is exactly the case.

(How can I undo the "accept as solution"?)

Hi @TristanKuesters@Seth_C_Bauer,

I have reproduced the same issue on my environment. I will confirm if this is a known limitation currently, or it is an issue that should be fixed with the Product Team, and post back if I get any feedback. Smiley Happy

Regards

I have got a response from the Product Team. Smiley Happy

This is happening because for shared dashboard the live connected report's packages and report objects are not added in the response of GetAppMetadata SP. There is no work around for this. a bug (Defect 10083911) is created to track this and we are already working on a fix. The fix is expected to be deployed to PROD at end of May.

Regards

@v-ljerr-msft wrote:

I have got a response from the Product Team. Smiley Happy

This is happening because for shared dashboard the live connected report's packages and report objects are not added in the response of GetAppMetadata SP. There is no work around for this. a bug (Defect 10083911) is created to track this and we are already working on a fix. The fix is expected to be deployed to PROD at end of May.

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft, do you have any updates about this? Did the fix get delayed?

Hi @jgutierrez,

I just verified that the Product Team are still working on a fix for this issue. I will post back once the fix is checked in. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi,

We're having the same issue on our side. Do we have an update from Microsoft?

Is there a way to download the reports with the dataset and reupload them together?

Best Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I am experiencing the same issue described in this thread (even in the general release of the Live Connection) and am wondering whether this bug was ever fixed.  Do you happen to have any updates on this topic?

Thanks so much!

Thanks a lot to take care about the feedback from the community!

The "new" face of microsoft is very fine!

@v-ljerr-msft Thank you for tracking this down with the team, and for the update. Very helpful, glad to hear the fix is in the works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors