Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jerics99
Frequent Visitor

Share Data

We have not been able to share datasets in my organization even with the Pro licenses...?

Background: I would like to let different users in my organization use excel pivot tables using a shared dataset as data source. I have not managed to get that to work though. I have published at Power BI Desktop model to Power BI, but unfortunately I am the only user that can query the data set even though its included in a Group shared with other users....?

For your information. Our initial plan was to set up a virtual machine with SSAS in our Azure instanse, but it got fairly expensive so we instead thought that Power BI would be a better alternative.

Kind Regards,

-Eric

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi Eric,

I dont believe that the .ODC file that you create with the analyze in excel thingy is shareable. I could be 100% wrong but I suspect that it will only work if:

Each user who needs access to the data file has a working PowerBI service account and

Each of those users has the analyze in excel addin ininstalled.

The sharing wont make any difference to the .ODC file that you are wanting to use. The sharing only applies (atm) to powerbi not the progeny ie data connection of.

Keep me posted as I am keen to here how you go with this one.

Cheers,

Sam

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jerics99,

Based on my understanding, you have created a report in Power BI Desktop use the data returned from Excel. Then you publish the report to a group workspace, the group member can't use this dataset to create a report, right?

Currently, Power BI product team is working on this feature request, the feature will be available as soon as possible. If you have any suggestion, you can comment on this Idea item: Ability to share datasets or connection to other users.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, this issue was solved by Microsoft, and sharing works fine now.

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jerics99,

Based on my understanding, you have created a report in Power BI Desktop use the data returned from Excel. Then you publish the report to a group workspace, the group member can't use this dataset to create a report, right?

Currently, Power BI product team is working on this feature request, the feature will be available as soon as possible. If you have any suggestion, you can comment on this Idea item: Ability to share datasets or connection to other users.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft

Any updates on this added functionality?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi, this issue was solved by Microsoft, and sharing works fine now.

Hi Qiuyun_Yu,

1) Well, I created a Model in Power Bi desktop that I published to Power BI.

2) Then I Created a Pivot Table in an Excel file against the data source (model) published in Power BI

3) I created some calculated members in the Excel file based on the pubished model /this is a great way of creating report specific KPI:s, expecially for users that like to work with Excel locally with a datasource in Power BI.

I can store the excel file locally and open it and refresh the data etc

Problem: However its only my Power BI user that can use the excel sheet, I would like to share the excel sheet with others in my organization and when they refresh the data in the pivot table they should connect to the datasource (model) published in Power BI with their user accounts.

Kind Regards,

-Eric

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi Eric,

I dont believe that the .ODC file that you create with the analyze in excel thingy is shareable. I could be 100% wrong but I suspect that it will only work if:

Each user who needs access to the data file has a working PowerBI service account and

The sharing wont make any difference to the .ODC file that you are wanting to use. The sharing only applies (atm) to powerbi not the progeny ie data connection of.

Cheers,

Sam

samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Cheers,

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors