Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Share Dashboard with EVERYONE/Domain Users group in AD?

We have on prem AD and we also use Azure AD and sync everything up to it.

The issue is I have some HR dashboards that I want ALL employees to be able to access.

Everyone has PowerBI licenses, so we are set there.

The issue is how do I just add everyone?

Are there built in groups to PowerBI to do this?

The dataset has RLS so that will resolve itself once a user of our domain logs in and goes to the dashboard.

I just can't find the proper PBI or O365 distribution list or group to add.

We have a distribution list that lists "!AllOfficeEmployees" and I tried using that, but it doesn't seem to populate properly, so people who are a member of said list still odn't get access.  *These are people in O365 for email, and that list shows up in the Azure AD group search.

Suggestions?

Not sure how to move forwards and I sure don't want to hand key in every single user ID and then somehow try to add each new hire, etc, etc...

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@OneWithQuestion This should work with email Distribution groups... Maybe the type of group is wrong, but you can do this, I just don't recall what type of group it has to be.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

We tried creating a distribution list in the O365 admin portal, adding a group to that dist group for members, but no good there 😞

Is there anyway to just add all registered domain users or "Everyone" etc? 

@OneWithQuestion Are you trying to add an AD group to a Power BI Group Workspace, or are you trying to share a dashboard with an AD group?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Just share with a group/list of some sort.

From what I am seeing if I add a Power BI group, then it shows up in Outlook for all members of the group.

That will become a bit confusing for people to have an Outlook folder/group for each PBI group/O365 group they are made a part of.

@OneWithQuestion Group Workspaces won't allow you to use an AD Group, you have to add that for each user. You can, and should be able to share a dashboard with an AD Security Group.

We tried that, no luck. Does the AD security group have to be created in azure or in sime special way?

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

>>From what I am seeing if I add a Power BI group, then it shows up in Outlook for all members of the group.
That will become a bit confusing for people to have an Outlook folder/group for each PBI group/O365 group they are made a part of.

Power BI groups are built on groups in Office 365. You can create a group in Power BI, or in Office 365 -- it has the same characteristics either way. For more information, see: Create a group to collaborate in Power BI.

>> Does the AD security group have to be created in azure or in sime special way?

Regarding the question to create AD security group, please post a thread in this forum to get dedicated support.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors