Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lukebrunel
Frequent Visitor

Setting alert on Data Set

Hello to everyone,

I've got a question that I cannot solve.

I have some Data Set that are getting data in real time from  a stream analytics azure.

I have my reports and all I need in my Power Bi Dashboard online (not in the desktop version).

BUT:

When i try to set the alarm, for example when the count is less then 1, the process never ends.

It's like it goes on loop.

I click 'SAVE', but it never ends.

Am doing some mistakes?

Have I to do some passagges that I miss?

Thank you

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lukebrunel

I got internal information that that streaming visuals which are added directly to dashboards via add tile >  custom streaming data don’t support data alerts.

Data alerts can only be created based on KPI, cards and gauge visuals pinned from reports. You can create a report based on a streaming dataset if you enable the “historic analysis enabled” option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Dburnett
Regular Visitor

Can you set alerts for non-numeric values? For instance I'm pulling data in from Microsoft Forms. If a participant selects are particular response I want it to send an alert via Power BI. Is that possible? 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-set-data-alerts

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lukebrunel

I got internal information that that streaming visuals which are added directly to dashboards via add tile >  custom streaming data don’t support data alerts.

Data alerts can only be created based on KPI, cards and gauge visuals pinned from reports. You can create a report based on a streaming dataset if you enable the “historic analysis enabled” option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lukebrunel,

In your scenario, do you create card visual or gauges visual from your streaming dataset, then pin the visual to dashboard and  add data alert? Or do you add data alert in visuals created by clicking  “Add tile”?

I follow the instructions in  this blog, and create a card visual from streaming dataset, I am able to add data alert after I pin the card visual to dashboard. However, in the card visual that is created via clicking  “Add tile”, there is no option to set data alert. Could you please check that if you get ant issues about data alert when using the streaming dataset of the blog?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Dear v-yuezhe-msft,
thank you SO MUCH for your reply.
I have a tile that is composed by a number (the number of some messages received from Stream Analytics).
It's uploaded in real time.
When I click on the three points on the corner (settings), I can see the bell of Data Alert.
I click on that, and I can also see the settings to configure when it starts.
But, when I click 'SAVE AND EXIT', it never ends.

Yesterday I thought it was a problem about 'the other side' of the stream: so I closed temporarily the stream, and I tried to set the alert.
Again, The process couldn't save the alert.
Can you suggest me what it could be?

Hi @lukebrunel,

Could you please create another card visual in your streaming dataset and then pin the card visual to dashboard and check if you can set data alert successfully?

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors