Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

kmccomas23

Securely filter and share a dashboard or dashboard's underlying SQL query for non-organization users

I have built a dashboard that draws data from an Azure SQL database. Several customers' data is stored in the same SQL. I would like to be able to share this dashboard with customers outside my organization, but I only want them to be able to view their own data, not the data of other customers. I investigate row-level security, but it seems this is incompatible with sharing outside of my organization. I also researched sharing a filtered URL, but by changing the URL, a user granted guest access to the app workspace where the dashboard was created can alter or remove this filter. I suspect a solution may be found by embedding the dashboard in a web app or publishing it as an app - I would prefer not to develop a web app as I am completely unexperienced in this.

What would be the best way to: (1) create a login/password system that alters the query or filters on the dashboard based on who logs in OR (2) create a secure and shareable URL that displays the dashboard filtered to display only one customer's data? It can be assumed that the customer will be a Power BI Pro user, but not a member of my same organization. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmccomas23,

I'd liek to suggest you take a look at below link to know how to get Power BI RLS to work with external users:

How to get Power BI RLS to work with external users

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kmccomas23,

I'd liek to suggest you take a look at below link to know how to get Power BI RLS to work with external users:

How to get Power BI RLS to work with external users

Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors