Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Unitunit

Scheduled Refresh - Free v Pro

Hi,

I have signed up for the 60day free trial of Power BI Pro - however the options on scheduled refresh is "Daily" or "Weekly". I though pro allowed you to do "Hourly" or "live".

Can anyone help? I want my dashboard to show live data.

Thanks

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Unitunit To have it work in the Service, download the On Premises Data Gateway, create the data source on the gateway, and when you deploy the report to the Service it automatically works.

Scheduled refresh is only available in the Service.

"Live" - this is a different discussion... I've heard of others having success with third party browser tools to refresh the page, which if you use DQ should refresh the data. The "Show on Monitor" story is a little weak at the moment for out of the box support. You can do this looking at a dashboard with streaming or push data sets, but there is more work involved there.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Unitunit You should have all the features of Pro available... so if you are importing, this would allow you to schedule refreshes on the hour for up to 8x per day.
Direct Query or Live connection wouldn't require a refresh.

There should be no limitations with the "Pro Trial" vs. "Regular Pro"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer i have now managed to schedule in the 8 refreshs a day.

I would love for the report to be Direct Query/Live so no need to refresh, how would i go about this?

I am connecting to a SGL database?

Also - I have noticed although the dataset refreshes in the scheduled interval I still have to reopen the "report" for the fresh data to show. I really don't want to have to do this throughout the day, and want the displayed report to show the latest information for my team to see? 

Thanks

@Unitunit Depending on how you are connecting now, you can connect to the SQL DB from the Power BI Desktop. when you connect/build your reports in the Desktop you can select Direct Query. This would require an On-Premises Data Gateway to be installed as well.

The refreshing of the page is expected behaviour.

If i create a driect query in desktop, what happens when i publish to the cloud? Is only schedule refresh availible there?

Is there anything I can do to avoid manually refreshing thr report. The scenario is, i have to dashboard on a screen so my department can see various metrics. I dont want to have to go on there every hour or so to re-click the report to show the latest data? This seem very clunky?

Thanks

Tom

@Unitunit To have it work in the Service, download the On Premises Data Gateway, create the data source on the gateway, and when you deploy the report to the Service it automatically works.

Scheduled refresh is only available in the Service.

"Live" - this is a different discussion... I've heard of others having success with third party browser tools to refresh the page, which if you use DQ should refresh the data. The "Show on Monitor" story is a little weak at the moment for out of the box support. You can do this looking at a dashboard with streaming or push data sets, but there is more work involved there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors