Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cassels
Advocate I
Advocate I

Schedule refresh - gateway

Hi!

I created a report at PowerBI Desktop (which is working and refreshing data normally) and published (I'm trying to understand better this app, btw).

The problem is that now I want to schedule a refresh, and that message appears to me "You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway."

The database is in a server that has the gateway, for sure.

When I get data from SQL Server to Power BI desktop, I used my SQL user. Could that be the problem? What should I do in that case?

gateway.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cassels,

Which type of gateway does the DBA install for you, on-premises gateway or personal gateway? 

If the DBA installs on-premises gateway , he should go to the administrator’s tab of the registered gateway to add you as additional admin, then you will be able to see gateway in "Manage gateway", and you are able  to add all data sources within the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

It would appear that first off your Personal gateway is not connecting to the Power BI Service.

Can you confirm that you have got the latest version installed?

And then check to see if you can access app.powerbi.com from the PC/Server where the Personal Gateway is installed?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@cassels,

Does your dataset contain multiple data sources(SQL Server and SharePoint)? If so, add all data sources of the dataset under the registered on-premises gateway in Power BI Service, and ensure that you enter the same connection strings of data sources as that you use in Power BI Desktop.

Besides, you can follow the guide in this article to add SQL Server data source within the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. My question is probably really dumb, and I apologize, but I'm new at Power BI.

Yes, I'm using SQL and SharePoint.

Here at work I only know that the gateway is installed on a server, and they migrate the database to this server. I got data at PowerBI desktop using my SQL user. That's all I know. I thought that it would appear to me, at the Service, the gateway, because my power BI account is connected to Office 365, with single login. But I was wrong.

What should I do for this gateway, that is installed in the server, appears to me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on your access rights, there is an option in the Power BI Service called "Manage Gateways".  This is where you add in your data sources in the same manner as they appear in your Power BI Desktop file.  If 100% of your data sources match a data source in the "Manage Gateways", then you will have the option of choosing it.

So for you, you will need to check if your SQL and your SharePoint have been added as a data source in the "Manage Gateways".  This can be found as an option under the Cog icon in the top menu of Power BI Service.

Hi @cassels

Another option to check what data sources you do have in your Power BI Dedsktop file is to go into the Query Editor, and then click on Data Source Settings.

This will show you all the data sources that you are connecting to. Then as per @Anonymous below, you can confirm that those data sources are also setup in the Power BI Service Gateway

Power BI Blog

Thank you again for your attention.

Just to clarify, I know my data source from Desktop. When I go to Manage Gateway, it appears that I don't have any gateways.

But the DBA confirmed to me that the gateway was installed on the server.

In that case, should I install another gateway in my machine?

@cassels,

Which type of gateway does the DBA install for you, on-premises gateway or personal gateway? 

If the DBA installs on-premises gateway , he should go to the administrator’s tab of the registered gateway to add you as additional admin, then you will be able to see gateway in "Manage gateway", and you are able  to add all data sources within the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

I am having the same issue with an Enterprise (on premises) gateway.  I have been added as an admin for the gateway, it is on a server that is available 24/7, and I've added the databases to the gateway and connected to them without issue from the Gateway Settings.

But when I try to setup a scheduled refresh on my Datasets to the gateway and associated data sources, the credentials cannot be verified.  It never "fails", the login pop-up remains and spins forever (5+ mins).

I am using the same credentials and authentication method as the data source connections within the gateway.  

I'm at a total loss how to solve this other than to either install a personal gateway (redundant) or to complete wipe out my .pbix files and start over (huge effort).

Any insights are appreciated!

I would suggest putting on the Verbose logging and see if you can see the connection making it to the Gateway server.

That should be a good starting point?

As well as ensuring that you have got the latest On-Premise Gateway installed?

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ, I will give both of your suggestions a try and circle back.

I just installed the Enterprise Gateway current version on my local machine (laptop)...  it is still not visible in the dataset gateway connection settings.

Then I installed the Personal Gateway current version on my laptop... and it is visible!  All data sources connect!  But why does the Personal Gateway work and the Enterprise Gateway is invisible?

Observation: when I try to connect to data sources using the Enterprise Gateway, I am given two authentication methods: Basic and Windows.  Neither option works.

When I try to connect to data sources using the Personal Gateway, the authentication choices are Basic and WindowsWithoutImpersonation.  The second option works.

Why is this different authentication method only popping up on the Personal Gateway?  Could this be a symptom of why the Enterprise Gateway is not visible?  Searching on this authentication type doesn't provide much information.

Appreciate your help!

EDIT

Suddenly the Enterprise Gateway is visible.  I didn't make any changes.  It's been about an hour since I first connected... maybe Power BI takes a while to seek/refresh/connect with existing gateways?

I'm at a loss, but at least it is working (now).

Awesome and yes due to it being a cloud service it can take a few minutes or possibly a bit more before everything is configured.

Power BI Blog

Hi @rlien1

When you install the Gateway in the On-Premise mode it should ask you to Log into Power BI. Once that is done if you go under Settings you should then see Manage Gateways. It is from there where you configure your Gateways.

This will give you more information on how to install and configure them: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors