Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mattimus
Regular Visitor

Saved content pack duplicates

My company is currently implementing Power BI as our core business intelligence platform and we want to follow best practices for content publication and consumption by our employees (primarily project managers). We noticed that when we publish out a content pack, users can pull that down to get the reports and dashboards but if they try to modify anything or create anything new based on that dataset, it forces them to "personalize" the content pack. At that point it appears that they are on a totally separate copy of everything and cannot refresh the content pack unless they pull down a brand new copy which duplicates everything.
1. Are content packs the right way for us to get our data into the hands of our employees?
2. What are the best practices for managing updates to our data model in such a way that isn't going to be a large burden for our end users (employees)

3 REPLIES 3
Fredrik
Advocate I
Advocate I

We're having the same issue and I don't see how this is supposed to work in any large organization.

Let's say you have a content pack with one dataset A, users connect to the dataset and build a report RPT A based on dataset A. Then you decide to add a new dataset B to the same content pack. Uses now need to go Get Data and select the same content pack again to get the new dataset. Now the user will have two datasets A and one dataset B. They have no idea which of the two datasets A that the report RPT A was based on so they dare not delete any of the two. Now a third dataset C is added...users end up with AAA BB and C. 

How are you supposed to manage this over time?

Regards

Fredrik

Does anyone from MSFT have a response to this?  Big gap in sharing.

Does anyone from MSFT have a response to this?  I run our analytics and have 3 versions of the same data now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors