Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aroth
Advocate II
Advocate II

Salesforce and Power BI

Hi all, 

I would like to use Salesforce to create live report in Power BI Service. I already started with 3 reports but before going any further I would like to have some advice/insights on one topics.

I saw that there is a limitation of 5 data sets imported. However, with the limitation of 2,000 rows I need to imports way more than that. My questions here are :

-> We can select multiple report from Salesforce in the same time when we import data in PBI service. If we select 4 reports in the same time, they are all going to be in the same data set. So I see one data set, but to refresh it will have to connect to 4 reports. In this context, does that count for 1 data set or 4 ? 

-> Other solution would be to also create reports in PBI Desktop, does the limitation of data sets also concern PBI Desktop ? Or can I import unlimited reports in PBI Desktop because here the refresh is manual ?

The answers to those questions will be critical in my decision on whether I can move to to Power Bi to build report from Salesforce or staying in an Excel format.

If you know other limitations or avatages to use Salesforce with Power I will be happy to read them !!!

Thanks a lot, 

AROTH

3 REPLIES 3
twalsh0625
Advocate I
Advocate I

To get around these limitations. I used a PBI desktop file, you can connect directly to the SF objects, including inheretence of relationships. This gets you around the 2000 record limit, and allows you to build data relationships with data outside of your SF platform. It also allows report building, metric definition and custom columns without having to offer a sacrificial lamb to your SF dev/admin team!

Be careful with your filters and column selection in the query though,  as it can be a BEAST to refresh.

Thank you both for your feedbacks. 

I think that the best way will be to use PBI Desktop and refresh manually in desktop, then load online. But if it's to hard to refresh I will even go through an excel file. It won't use salesforce's connectivty but I'll avoid a lot of restrictions ... 

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@Aroth,

Hi AROTH,

1. The 5 datasets limit means the restriction of datasets of Salesforce. According to the definition of dataset, I'm afraid 4 reports could be 4 datasets.

Please refer to: Salesforce Dataset: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView.

Limitation: powerbi-content-pack-salesforce/#system-requirements.

2. Power BI doesn't have any limitation of Salesforce. The limits are on the control of Salesforce. You can test it in the Desktop. This post is very helpful:  salesforce-connectivity-2000-lines-restriction/. And the reply in this post: remove-2000-row-limit-for-salesforce-power-queries.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors