Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

milindv

SQL Server Analysis Services 2016 Cube with Security features enabled

I am trying to render dashboard based on my SSAS 2016 OLAP cube connected via enterprise data gateway. I am able to enable Q&A dialog but its doen not work as expected. Q&A dialog return me only one result from dimension or measure at a time. It's not allowing me to answer multiple questions. Is this becasue of dimensional security is implemented on cube?

I am getting below error

Couldn't load the data for this visual
 Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.

2 REPLIES 2
SandeepKomminen
Regular Visitor

Just three weeks ago, we had announced the release of the preview version of enterprise gateway. And today we are ready with an updated version of the gateway with support for two major features – connectivity to Analysis Services models, for both tabular and multidimensional models, SSAS and SAP HANA.

Live connectivity to SQL Server Analysis Services models (tabular and multidimensional)

With the updated gateway you can now connect to Analysis Services and issue live queries to both tabular as well as multidimensional models.

For multidimensional models, we use the DAX over MD capability to connect to on-premises multidimensional models and this works with Enterprise and Business Intelligence editions of SQL Server Analysis Services.

To get started:

1. Install ‘Power BI Gateway – Enterprise (Preview)’: Download the gateway from here and install it on a computer with connectivity to the data source. Learn more here. If you had installed the previous version of the gateway, you do not have to uninstall it first. This install is an in-place upgrade.

2. Once the gateway is installed, you can manage it from ‘Manage gateways’ (on the top right) in Power BI portal.

3. Select the gateway you just installed and add your SQL Server Analysis Services model as a data source. You can define who can access this data source using this gateway in the ‘Users’ tab.

4. Using Power BI Desktop (install from here), you can create a report that connected to your Analysis Services model in “live mode” by choosing the Explore live option in Power BI Desktop.

5. Publish your Power BI Desktop report connected to the Analysis Services tabular or multidimensional model and the gateway will be automatically selected for you as long as you are in the Users tab for the data source and have access to the Analysis Services database.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@milindv

According to the beginning of this blog: "To begin the rollout of this capability, Q&A now works with SQL Server 2016 Analysis Services tabular models being access in Power BI via an enterprise gateway." OLAP cube is not supported yet.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors