Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Camerica
Regular Visitor

SERIOUS HELP REQUEST: ALL OF MY 30 REPORTS CAN NO LONGER REFRESH / CONNECT TO MY SQL AZURE DB

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I have 30 reports developed directly in Power BI Pro Service against SQL Azure Db

This has as many may know stopped working.

I do not accept the MS approach of forcing clients into using PowerBI Desktop for modelling and then use a gateway to be a good approach.

How can I recover my reports in PowerBI Service and not have to spend many hours to recreate these?

Charles Americanos

CGA Consulting Ltd UK

13 REPLIES 13
Camerica
Regular Visitor

WHAT DO I DO NOW?

I have 30 reports developed directly in Power BI Pro Service against SQL Azure Db

This has as many may know stopped working.

I do not accept the MS approach of forcing clients into using PowerBI Desktop for modelling and then use a gateway to be a good approach.

How can I recover my reports in PowerBI Service and not have to spend many hours to recreate these?

Charles Americanos

CGA Consulting Ltd UK

Posted response to duplicate thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/SERIOUS-HELP-REQUEST-ALL-OF-MY-30-REPORTS-CAN-NO-LONGER-REFR...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi Eno1978

I take your point re Desktop version and that will be acceptable for me in say 1 months time.

My current issue is that all of my Datasets reside in Azure SQl (PaaS) and it appears that MS have discontinued the ability to create a Direct query from PowerBI Service to the SQL Azure sources.

Get Data--->Import or Connect to databases--->Azure SQL databases

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 17.55.46.png

The following message is now displayed:-

As a consequence when I try to view my reports...they initially display populated and then screen reports and slicers shows large X on all visuals

The data structure (Dim and Fact tables that I manualy create within SQL Azure display) 

Couldn't load the data for this visual Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again

by Camerica Frequent Visitor 2 seconds ago
Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDf95c8e72-e61e-48b6-a915-5ec551b8e3f4
Request IDd93f5a74-6e7c-725b-86e8-eea0e8ba1437
Correlation ID18ab6270-a31c-514a-fdf9-4238fae6610f
TimeWed Apr 26 2017 17:11:53 GMT+0100 (BST)
Version13.0.1700.1899

Any idea why the data in SQL Azure will not refresh my visuals?

Then there is the issues ---a massive one

All of my definitions of reports were created and reside in the PowerBI Service ---they were never prepared in Desktop.

How can I extract these definitions so that I can reproduce the reports in the Desktop version?

The option to File - Download Report (pbix - Preview) is greyed out and unusable

So these are two massive issues that I face today!

Appreciate your assistance or any other guru members 🙂

I'm also facing same issue on PBI service. Faced same error..If you have more than 1 million rows available in database you will get the error. However, PBI desktop displays correct error for this. Please PBI team resolve this issue.

Glad that it is not only me going crazy here!

Abtw I have no more than 500k rows of data in SQL Azure....

@Camerica Yikes, I wasn't aware they made that change... If you follow the link it points to the documentation that states it is no longer available from the Service. Your only recourse (I would think) would be to open a support ticket to see if MSFT could pull your reports into PBIX files. As there is no method in the tool that would allow you to retrieve your reports since they were completely built in the Service...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Support ticket to MS

Do you have a url link to MS please - so that I can escalate this issue?

@Camerica

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

scroll down past the boxes and by the "Still having issues" -> Create Support Ticket

piyushj
Frequent Visitor

How much data you have on those reports?? If number of rows exceeded 1 million rows in live connection or online premises, power bi would not be able to refresh the data. Please check your database size or credentials of Azure connection.

Hi @piyushj

I am not certain that there is a 1 million row restriction when refreshing data via the On-Premise Gateway? I have and currently refreshing more than 1 million rows from my database and it is refreshing successfully.

Do you have any documentation with regards to this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

I am using Direct Query on Power BI Desktop. I have not installed any enterpeise on-Premise gateway. Shall I need to install it to avoid this limitation of direct query? I'm using Power Bi Pro trial version. Please find below attached screenshot  -

Power Bi Direct Query 3million rows.JPG

Appreciate your help on this -

Documentation link for direct query limitation - see the section limitation of direct query - There is a 1 million row limit for returning data when using DirectQuery.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/

Hi @piyushj

Thanks for the refrence to the documentation.

What I would suggest it that it does appear that you are trying to pull down the entire dataset via your direct query.

Could a possible solution be instead to have an aggreation of your data into a visual. And then once you click on a visual (affectively slicing the data) this can then return the data in the matrix? Which should then be less than 1 million rows.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@Camerica I've been away for a couple days, so I'm not aware of a larger issue with others having connection problems with Azure DB. What error are you getting? Are you using Iaas or Paas? Iaas would require a gateway Paas would not. Did something change on the SQL side, or did the password of the user connecting to the DB change?

As to the Desktop comment, there really isn't any reason why you shouldn't start in the Desktop. The Desktop doesn't require you to do anything different related to connection types and doesn't require a gateway if your datasource is in the Cloud (Paas Azure SQL DB most likely in your case). The very reason to have Desktop files is so that you have local copies of the reports you build. Not only for cases like this, but for situations in which you would want to publish those same reports to a different workspace. The Publish model is easy, and you can always update and publish the reports with edits and it automatically updates everything in the Service. This may change in the future, but I don't see the point of not using a tool when it provides all the extra flexibility.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors