Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RickFromm
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security

I need to implement row level security with Power BI.

We are going to be sending out dashboards to many people outside of our company and need to restrict their access.

The database being used is on an azure server and is very straight forward. Total of six fields, one of them being an "Area" field. We are going to restrict access based on this field.

I have another table that has two fields: EmailAddress and BuilderArea. 

The DAX formula being applied to the data table is:

[Area] in {NOT(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(vw_BuilderAccess[BuilderArea],vw_BuilderAccess[EMAIL],USERNAME())))}

The issue I am having is adding users outside of our company name, when I try (going to the datasets on the service and selecting either permissions or security) it will not allow an email address outside of the domain.

If I need to add these users as guest users in Azure I can do that. I have tried with one but get the same error message.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You can go into Azure and then to Azure Active Directory and add the Guest user in there.
As far as I know the guest user will have to click on the email first, so that his account can be created. After which you will then get the ability to select them from the drop down when sharing the data via an App (Preferred Method)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

You can go into Azure and then to Azure Active Directory and add the Guest user in there.
As far as I know the guest user will have to click on the email first, so that his account can be created. After which you will then get the ability to select them from the drop down when sharing the data via an App (Preferred Method)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors