Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jeffreyk
Regular Visitor

Row Level Security while overwriting a dataset

I have a dashboard that I refresh via the desktop app, then I reupload the dataset to the service. I have tweaks, new queries, and new roles that I create in the app so I need to use the app and not just the service.  In the past I've uploaded new data on top of the old data set, Power BI asks me if I want to overwrite the dataset, to which I say yes, and the data refreshes with my changes, keeping the RLS groups intact. I recently uploaded a new version, and all of the users in my RLS groups were erased. Is there a reason why it would erase all the member in the RLS groups, even though the groups were exactly the same? The dashboard is still shared out with all the users, but no one can see any data because they're no longer part of groups. I've never had this issue before, so not sure what would cause this. Thanks for any help!

1 REPLY 1
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jeffreyk,

How do you upload the dataset new version? You republish it from Power Bi desktop to service, right? If it is, if there is same role in the latest version. After republish, it will replace the original dataset and report, you need to recreate the group. More details, please see the limititions in this article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors