Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mdawesdigitalk
Frequent Visitor

Row Level Security only works on Reports in Service and not Dashboard Tiles ?

Hi,

We have been experimenting with RLS this week as the new Role Feature in PBI Desktop makes this now workable.

However, when we publish the PBI file up to Service, and then create a dashboard, we are finding that the RLS only applies to the Report, and is not refelected within the actual dashboard tiles, as these still show all data regardless of the user that logs into the Service.  If they click the dashboard tile to enter the source report then the security is applied thorughout the displyaed report ?

Is anyone else having this issue.

Any ideas on what we may have done wrong appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mdawesdigitalk,

Based on my test, when I publish the .pbix file to the a group workspace and configure the role for one group member who can only view the report. He can only see his own data after filtered by rule both in dashboard tile and report. See:

z3.PNG

p2.PNG

In your scenario, did you publish the report to a group workspace? Can you provide more information for us to reproduce the issue.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI Qiuyun_Yu,

I have retested on a very simple dataset using two users and no groups, and it now seems to work.

However, we are still seeing issues within our original "live" dataset within our group shares, so I assume it is related to a table join, or the way that the groups have been set up.

I will continue to investigate.

Mark

Any updates on how this was fixed and if this is now possible: i.e. dynamic dashboard tiles based on RLS

Yes I have experienced the same, and no it is not you. I think MS has some fundamental issues with pinned tiles. It seems to me there is a refresh event that triggers them to update. If the event is not triggered, they stay as they were. I have issues with ANY change to the pinned tile (even changing decimal places) and also this RLS issue you refer to. 

@GuyInACube Adam, what are your thoughts. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors