Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sushiconzo

Restricting Creation of Reports/Dashboards

Hello Community,

I would like to setup a Power BI environment which allows the following:

• User A can create reports, dashboards, apps etc
  • User A can share reports, dashboards, apps etc with Users B, C and D (via the Power BI service or another medium which does not expose sensitive data like embed codes do)
  • Users B, C and D cannot create reports, dashbaords, apps etc
  • User A can share different reports with Users B, C and D

Happy to purchases required licences and Office 365 business accounts for this to be possible. I am hoping, however, it does not require a Power BI premium licence.

Thank you for your help.

SC

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sushiconzo

Based on your description I would estimate you would require the following.

• You would need 4 Power BI Pro Licenses (Because each user received a Shared report or App would require a Pro License)
  • User A would have permissions in an App Workspace, where he can deploy his reports to. As well as create Apps. User A would then be able to distribute the Dashboards via Sharing. User A could also create an App, and distribute the dashboards or reports via Apps. User A would be able to selectively share dashboards or Apps with the selected users.
  • Users B, C & D would not belong to any App Workspaces. (But they would potentially be able to use "My Workspace" to upload reports and create their own dashboards)

The only thing that I am uncertain about is how to ensure that users B,C and D cannot share dashboards to other users?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will read up on app workspaces.

I guess the key thing for this enviornment is to prevent Users B, C and D (non-analysts) from being tempted to create their own workspaces/reports. Hoping I can limit their capability and restrict them purely to consumers of Power BI data produced by User A.

Thanks again,

SC

For sure, the only other option is Power BI Premium or using Power BI embedded, in which the users will only be Read-Only users, and also not have the capability to create or share their own content.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors