Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdesseaux

Report levels filters not working

Hi,

I wish I could send you a video but I'm manipulating sensitive data my customer won't display on the internet.

I'll try to explain the best I can the "bug" I'm facing.

I have two pages on a report. I set filters on customer infos and sales. Both filters are set on "report level" because I wish to keep this filter between all of my pages.

- I click on a customer on the first page. The filter is working and my data is updating.

- I switch to the second page : There is no filter set. No data updated.

- I switch back to the first page : No filter. It has been reseted.

Did I miss something or is this really a bug? Because it is a basic feature that everyone's may need.

Thank you for any help 🙂

19 REPLIES 19
abhishekk12

If you are using this report on any bookmark, first remove the bookmark and apply the filter again then all filters will work perfectly.

froy
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue....

I configure some time filters at visual level (for example, I want to show only the last 12 months) and it runs pefectly in desktop but when I publish trough an app it fails...

The strangest thing is that some times it works fine but then it fails and never works again until I publish the report again... It is very frustrating!!

Example in an App: it shows that the left visual has a report filter related to dates but the visual is showing all the data, not only the period filtered:

froy_0-1593674245026.png

This is a production version so you can imagine the problems I am facing....

AnandforBi
Frequent Visitor

I am also facing the same issue , is there any additional step we need to do ? 

Same problem (June 2020). Filters do not work when a multi-page report is published and embedded in a web page.

bvenu2712
Helper I
Helper I

Hi

I too have the same issue, filters works good in Power BI desktop and not working in web.

I resolved my issue: In my report, I am using bookmarks for navigating between the report pages.

Once we apply the report level filters, we need to update each bookmark and make sure the report filter is applied.

Thanks,

Venu Bolla

thanks for the solution...

This is the correct solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ihave faced the same issue.

I have a Project level filter apllied in the Power BI Desktop. The moment it is published to the service, it gets dropped.

In the service (Chrome browser), I loaded the report and clicked on the 'Edit Report' button, set the Project Level Filters again.

Saved the report.

After that I reloaded the report in the service from the workspace it belonged in.

I re-published from the desktop once again. Seems like the Project Level Filters are now not dropped at all.

I filtered/interacted with the report and also hit the 'Reset to Default' button, but the Project Level Filters are still applied.

Let me know if this works for you.

Power BI Desktop (January 2019).

--

Ooflay

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdesseaux

The selections in the visual chart will not be retained after you switch to other pages.

If you change the report level filter and then switch pages, the filter will not be lost.

Best Regards,

Herbert

The problem is that 'Report level filter', in my opinion, is not always working. We have reports with 8 pages where report level filter  work only on some page... on 3-4 pages not all 8.

Or , better, we have a file .pbix where the report filter work correctly on all the pages.

Other files, copied and derived from the first, have the report level filter that works only on 3 pages of 8...

..and these other reports, copied from the first, are very (VERY) similar to the first !

we have solved the problem, it was not due to Power BI but to the logic of the Report filter in this type of file .pbix that we have created.

Power BI (maybe ?? I am searching doc about...) works putting together all the queries of a report when is used the Report filter, 

so you must be carefully of this point..

These reports were created on the base that Power BI does not support the many to many relations, creating queries to solve this point.These queries were not modified, after copiyng the original file .pbix, and all worked fine when these queries were modified...

I am experiencing a similar issue which has just occurred today. 

I report level filter which used to filter everything within a report, no has stopped filtering one specific matrix in a report of 165-20 visuals. Given I use this filter to ensure I only show clients data that is specific to them, this is a massive issue for me.

I cannot replicate the issue in Power BI desktop - where the report filters correctly. It is only once the report is uploaded to Power BI that the issue occurs. I'm an experienced Power BI user, and have never come across this issue before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue today.

I have a report with several pages (one country per page), I include in Page level filter the corresponding filter according to the country, save the report, preview another report, and then check again the report I have edited before and the page level filters are gone.

Hi @robbielambert

Did you figure out this issue? I am experiencing the same thing - report level filters applied and working in Power BI Desktop but once the report it published, as you navigate through the report and move from page to page, the filter is reset to 'all'.

jdesseaux

I figured out the problem using your screenshots:

As you can see on this dirty screen without any sensitive data... I applied a filter clicking on a bar chart which corresponds to a salesperson. All my page is filtered (I got only one row in the table. Sales, benefits etc.. .are filtered too).

But... the reports level filter isn't changed at all. As you can see, a salesperson is a "sectorcode" and all the sector codes are checked (040 isn't supposed to be displayed so I unchecked it). So, when I switch to the other page, there is no filter applied and that's why I'm loosing my filter when I switch back.

But anyway... I don't understand how is it supposed to work! Should I tell my client to select the filter manually every time? This is strange, right?

Thanks for your help

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@jdesseaux

I tried to repro but cannot repro either in Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service. Please refer to following screenshots, the report level filter is always working after I switch between the pages.

Could you please provide a PBIX file which can be used to repro? You can use some sample data without any sensitive data in it.

Report levels filters not working_1.jpgReport levels filters not working_2.jpg 

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors