Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Report Custom URL Filter not working

I can not for the life of me get report custom URL filters to work.  The instructions aren't too clear, which doesnt help.   Examples in other posts indicate you should be able to get the URL of any report, including the page, and then add a string of the form:

?filter=[TableName]/[ColumnName] eg Value.

I have tables with Underscores in the name, and columns with underscores, and so I want to add:

?filter=_Programs/Program_Code eq ABCD

but this does not seem to work for any combination I try.  Has anyone got this to work?

Does the table/column combination already have to be set as a Page Filter or Report filter for this to work?

Does the Value for the filter have to be in quotes or not?

Does the custom URL need to be saved somewhere for the service to recognise it? The first step in the instructions vaguely implies you need to edit the report and add the filter, but that doesnt really make sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tas
Advocate I
Advocate I

After more trial and error, I have discovered that Undescores are not supported in either table or column names.  Also it seems the value has to be quoted. Single quotes work, which convert to %27 in the URL.

Step 1 in the doco is misleading. Ignore it.

Also my thought that the column may already need to exist in either page or report filters was unfounded. The URL filters work without this.

Unfortunately, if you construct the custom URL, and then try to use it as the URL for a dashboard tile, the service ignores the filter part. This is very annoying, and relates to other ideas posts asking for tiles created from filtered or sliced reports to reinstate the filter or slices when you click through from the tile to the report. So no viable workaround for that annoying behaviuor yet.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tas
Advocate I
Advocate I

After more trial and error, I have discovered that Undescores are not supported in either table or column names.  Also it seems the value has to be quoted. Single quotes work, which convert to %27 in the URL.

Step 1 in the doco is misleading. Ignore it.

Also my thought that the column may already need to exist in either page or report filters was unfounded. The URL filters work without this.

Unfortunately, if you construct the custom URL, and then try to use it as the URL for a dashboard tile, the service ignores the filter part. This is very annoying, and relates to other ideas posts asking for tiles created from filtered or sliced reports to reinstate the filter or slices when you click through from the tile to the report. So no viable workaround for that annoying behaviuor yet.

daniels
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

has someone tried url filtering with power bi hosted on premise on SSRS 2016?

Best Regards,
Daniel Serafimovik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors