Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Karim_Hossam
Employee
Employee

Refreshed data source

Hello,

If I am sharing a report or a dashboard with someone in y organization, and I am configuring scheduled auto refresh for the data sources.

will the people i am sharing with will be able to see the changes in report(when the refresh time arrive), if they are already opening it automatically (without doing anything the refreshed data will reflect on the report's charts)?

i.e if they open shared report at 12:55 PM and the automatic refresh time is 1:00 PM the data will be changed in front of them automatically?

Thanks!

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Karim_Hossam There is no difference. You get 8x per day. If you run 8 manual, then that's what you get. I'm assuming you mean refreshing the dataset. If you initiate refresh on the dashboard or report that will just refresh what is currently in the Service.

Direct Query doesn't require refresh of the dataset. Initiating a refresh on the dashboard or report should pull the latest data as it is going to send the queries to the source datasbase.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Karim_Hossam No, refresh doesn't work like that. A couple points. First, the refresh time you set is an approximation, it doesn't immediately execute at the exact time. Second, the end user would need to refresh the report to see the changes. There may be cases where while interacting with the report the data updates, but I'm fairly certain you would need a full refresh as the cached session would still be in play in their browser.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer ok i got your point  but  what would be the differences between manual refresh and automatic refresh in this case?, as in both i will need to click on the refresh button , and another question @Seth_C_Bauer, is this apply alos on the data source that I am connetced to through  Directquery? (as they are not cashed)

thanks

@Karim_Hossam There is no difference. You get 8x per day. If you run 8 manual, then that's what you get. I'm assuming you mean refreshing the dataset. If you initiate refresh on the dashboard or report that will just refresh what is currently in the Service.

Direct Query doesn't require refresh of the dataset. Initiating a refresh on the dashboard or report should pull the latest data as it is going to send the queries to the source datasbase.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors