Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mericok
Frequent Visitor

Refresh time differences between scheduled - on demand

Hi,

I have a little bit problem with scheduled refreshing time. I scheduled refresh time on my report but sometimes I need to refresh manually. When I did refresh manually which is "on demand" refreshing finish like 4-5 minutes but when starting the schedule refresh it takes a long time. 15-20 minutes. What can be related the main reason for differences? I share a screenshot of my issue.

Thanks.issue.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's going to be a backend question for Microsoft to answer. I would anticipate the answer goes something along the lines of, there are two different processes for refreshing data. One, when a user clicks refresh, they know that the user is there waiting so it probably goes to the top of the queue stack to get processed. Versus, in a scheduled refresh, it's probably place lower in the queue because it'll happen when it happens. So, my theory is that yes the refresh process starts but it is probably waiting in a queue for a long time and then it refreshes. So the total time is longer. The other explanation might be the amount of resources dedicated to one process versus the other. Again, background refreshes might be placed in a pool that has less resources because they are not time sensitive like user initiated refreshes. This is just me musing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That's going to be a backend question for Microsoft to answer. I would anticipate the answer goes something along the lines of, there are two different processes for refreshing data. One, when a user clicks refresh, they know that the user is there waiting so it probably goes to the top of the queue stack to get processed. Versus, in a scheduled refresh, it's probably place lower in the queue because it'll happen when it happens. So, my theory is that yes the refresh process starts but it is probably waiting in a queue for a long time and then it refreshes. So the total time is longer. The other explanation might be the amount of resources dedicated to one process versus the other. Again, background refreshes might be placed in a pool that has less resources because they are not time sensitive like user initiated refreshes. This is just me musing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, 

It happened to me with the file that has incremental refreshing applied. Now I cannot be sure if it works properly. Unfortunately, I work with a customer user that doesn't have Premium and I cannot see whether partitions are created or not in SSAS, and main database is in BC SaaS so no profiler. From Power BI diagnostic, it GETs date from Range and receives it in response so I guess all work fine, or? Do you have some suggestions on what else I can check? Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors