Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pAAmckelvey
Frequent Visitor

Refresh data from an Excel located on Sharepoint Status Code 400

Hello,

We have reports that use excel files located on our SharePoint site as the data source.   We manually update each of the files as the data comes from various systems.  However, when the reports are Published from Desktop to app.powerbi.com either to MyWorkspace or our group workspace we are unable to get the report to refresh from the same files.   We are getting a status code 400 when trying to enter credentials.  My initial thought is to use Windows Authentication thinking that others on my team have access to the same folder on SharePoint where the files are located.  None of the three authentication methods in the dropdown seem to work, Anonymous, Windows or Basic.  

I seem to be missing something but not sure what, any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Here is a screenshot of the error message.

StatusCode400.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pAAmckelvey,

I think you are use sharepoint on-premise, right? If this is a case, I'd like some details more details information to help us clarify your scenario.

>>My initial thought is to use Windows Authentication thinking that others on my team have access to the same folder on SharePoint where the files are located. 

Nope, if you get data from files which stored in folder, you can only use corresponded credentials.(child level not inherit credentials from its parent)

BTW, which authentication method you used to connect data from desktop?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

We are using SharePoint On-premise and I use Windows authentication to do that.   When I login to app.powerbi.com I use the same credentials as we have single sign-on setup. 

I have permissions to the folder on SharePoint where the files are stored, it works from the deskstop but not from app.powerbi.com.  I feel like there is either some type of setup missing between app.powerbi.com and our internal SharePoint.

HI @pAAmckelvey,

I also not sure which place caused the issue, maybe you can try to submit an support ticket to get more support.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors