Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbv

Refresh Power BI desktop file (with changed datasets) from Sharepoint

Hi All,

I have a question concerning Power BI service and I haven't been able to find an article that addresses this point.

I have imported a Power BI desktop file via "get data" from a SharePoint folder to create a dashboard in Power BI Online. When I update the Power BI desktop file in the SharePoint folder I am able to refresh the dashboard on Power BI online. So far, so good.

However, I now want to upload a few extra data files (excel's) in my Power BI desktop file to make some new graphs. If I now upload my modified Power BI desktop file to SharePoint (and replace the previous version) I get an error when I refresh my dashboard in Power BI Online. I think this is due to the fact that my dataset hasn't changed.

Is there a way in which the datasets are also changed after I update my PBI-file and refresh in Power BI Online? 

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @pbv,

I'm not so clarify for your scenario, can you please provide detail contents about this issue?

For example:
Original data source type, connection mode. detailed error message, screenshots.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for your reply.

First scenario:

• I have created a Power BI desktop file (.pbix)
  • I have uploaded one data source (Excel) (see figure 1)
  • Figure 1
  • I have uploaded this.pbix file on Sharepoint/Onedrive for Business
  • From the Power BI Online environment I have uploaded the .pbix from Sharepoint (via "get data") to get a dashboard
  • Every time I update the data source (and .pbix-file), I re-upload the .pbix file to Sharepoint
  • The dashboard in the Power BI Online environment updates and everything is fine

Next step:

• I now upload two additional data sources (Excel) into my existing .pbix file (see figure 2)
  • Figure 2
  • I modify my .pbix file accordingly
  • I re-upload my modified .pbix-file on Sharepoint
  • I refresh my dataset/dashboard in the Power BI Online environment 
  • Now in my dashboard it shows errors (see figure 3)
  • Figure 3

I also see that in the Power BI online environment the "dataset" has not changed after the refresh (it still only shows set 1, not set 2 and 3), I guess this is causing the problem?

HI @pbv,

According to your description, your first excel data source is from sharepoint online or other online datasource, right?
If this is a case, you can use connection directly mode with onedrive refresh to handling refresh operations without setting up gateways.

I guess you have added some on-premise excel datasources, right?
In this case, power bi need gateway to manage on-premise data source or mix datasources(on-premise and online) refresh operations.

BTW, it seems like you pasted same snapshots.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors