Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sguenther
Advocate II
Advocate II

Refresh Error: Not enough memory available for the application

Hey guys,

after expanding my reports further and further (50+ report pages + large data model) I get this error when trying to refresh my reports in the service.

Error Message:

The operation has been cancelled because there is not enough memory available for the application. If using a 32-bit version of the product, consider upgrading to the 64-bit version or increasing the amount of memory available on the machine.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks!

Seb

10 REPLIES 10

@sguenther to clarify, you are refreshing this in the Service - is that correct?  I am surprised that you would get a memory issue.  How many rows in your largest table?  How many Columns in the same table?  My guess is that you have too many columns, but that is just a guess.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington yes, I experienced this error in the service and not in the PowerBI Desktop tool. That's why it is so surprising to me. Is there any way to upgrade my account in order for it to support larger reports and data models? Because if it runs in PowerBI Desktop it should also rin on the server IMHO.

Largest table: 5 mio rows, 15 columns (mainly with low cardinality)

Not that I am aware of

How many rows in your largest table?  How many Columns in the same table?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

This was very helpful.  I reduced the number of columns using the "Choose Columns" button and that solved my issue.  It was easy to filter by "base" to quickly remove a lot of the base currency fields that I didn't need (no multi-currency here).

Hi,

I got the same Error. would mine explaining what is this button, I couldn't find it online

Thanks

Sure -

1. open up your Power BI desktop application

2. open your Power BI file

3. click on "Edit Queries"

4. a new window should show.  find your table on which you'd like to update your columns on the left

5. click "Choose Columns" from the menu at the top

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. It has helped me as well

Largest table: 5 mio rows, 15 columns (mainly with low cardinality)

Sorry for asking - you just never know. I guess since it is in the service, you could send a frown and someone should be able to monitor the refresh to see what is happening. 

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@sguenther I have observed that Power BI Desktop tool user much RAM when working on it. In your case where the data set is too large with huge number of reports, only suggestion is to either increase your RAM (8/16GB) or create reports in parts (different pbix files with small set of reports). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors