Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anupatil
Frequent Visitor

RLS in Power BI

Hi All,

We have lot of confusion/issues while trying to implement RLS in PBI.

we created role in PBI Desktop and published the file to service in an app workspace. 

So, for a member of app workspace who has  only view rights do we have to first share the report to the member and also add security? Will RLS work only in this case? 

We really need to understand RLS in below mentioned perspectives:

1. RLS in power BI service 

2. RLS In app worksapce in service

3. RLS in embedded

We need to know all the rules, prerequisites, steps for the above mentioned topics. Please guide to any articles that might help throughly on this.

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anupatil@Anonymous,

1.  In Power BI desktop, we create a RLS role, after saving the report and publishing to Power BI service, we need go to Security tab of the dataset and add users as members of this role. Depends on the report stored location, we might need to do another action: 

If the report is stored in My Workspace, we can share the report or related dashboard with these users, they will see corresponding data based the role he/she belong to. 

If the report is stored in a app workspace, as long as the users are this app workspace view only members, they can view the report and dashboard with role filtered. 

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

2. When we use Power BI embedded to view report, if we're embedding for non-Power BI users (app owns data), we need to follow this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security

While if we are embedding for Power BI users (user owns data), we needn't to do anything in the app, just set RLS as mentioned in the first point above in the same way. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

Just want to add on one more question:

is is possible to have another set of super user having the edit right in the app workspace (e.g. they will be able to edit content, create new reports etc) while maintaining the usage of RLS for the rest of the users with view permission only.

Understant that currently if we have configured the app workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Currently that isn't possible. Any member of an App Workspace will be able to see all the data

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi there

Currently when a user is a member of an App Workspace they can see all the content and RLS will not be applied.

RLS will apply to a user if a report, dashboard or app is shared with them.

With regards to embedding Power BI, this will be controlled via the embedding application which will then pass a token (which is actually a user) which will then return the RLS

Finally I have a blog post on how to implement this.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2018/02/20/dynamic-row-level-security-is-easy-with-active-directory-security...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Facing similar kind of issue..

While sharing reports with more than 100 users logging into web app,How will they be able to see only there relevant content.

Need this solution aas soon as possible.

Kindly help!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors