Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SBF
Regular Visitor

RLS for users to see own info intermittently this fails and users see ALL data.

These are the steps take-

1. Convert my Excel file into PBIX file.
2. Import my PBIX file to Power BI Service, create a report and pin the report to a new dashboard.
3. Create a role and enter my colleague’s email-address's.
4. Create a rule to define a data filter for Users. [EMAIL] = USERNAME()
5. Share my dashboard to my colleague's.

Overall this has worked, but there are certain individuals who intermittently can see ALL data rather than just their own.How does the Row Levl security fit with AD username and would differences in the email 'Name' or label in AD cause issues?

5 REPLIES 5
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@SBF

What are the "certain individuals who"? As per the RLS documentation,

If you publish your Power BI Desktop report to a group within the Power BI service, the roles will be applied to read-only members.

If using Group is in your case, ensure the certain whos are not the admin of your group or the member in group can only view content.

data source is employee list, employees = certain individuals.

Email address is in the data source so have filtered as [EMAIL]=USERNAME()

Added email addresses of members to this role. It is published and shared with all employees.

When first created/published/shared all employees in the role cold see only their own data except for one member. I had to remove access to the share. Remove email from Security. Re add email to security, and re share. It worked.

The issue is that intermittently users log in and see ALL users details. No changes to the AD users, report or dashboard.

Are there any known issues or limits on the amount of users you can add to roles through security?

Do amendments to the data source underlying this dashboard cause any known issues?

What could be breaching the security now and again- there is no common link to when or who.

@SBF wrote:

data source is employee list, employees = certain individuals.

Email address is in the data source so have filtered as [EMAIL]=USERNAME()

Added email addresses of members to this role. It is published and shared with all employees.

When first created/published/shared all employees in the role cold see only their own data except for one member. I had to remove access to the share. Remove email from Security. Re add email to security, and re share. It worked.

The issue is that intermittently users log in and see ALL users details. No changes to the AD users, report or dashboard.

Are there any known issues or limits on the amount of users you can add to roles through security?

Do amendments to the data source underlying this dashboard cause any known issues?

What could be breaching the security now and again- there is no common link to when or who.

Is the "one member" a fixed one? Do you use group? What are those users, are they any member in the group?

Hi The member's have been added to the roles security as individuals. Not groups.

@SBF

There's not any known issue about RLS, for this kind of behavior, I'd suggest you submit a support ticket then.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors