Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

swapnilsd08
Frequent Visitor

RLS for SQL Server 2016 with Power BI

Hello,

I am using SQL Server 2016 as my datasource for a dashboard. I have written Security functions and created Security policies which I have been using for RLS in SSRS Mobile Report Publisher. I used the same "view" created in one of my databases from which I am doing a "select * from view" as a direct query in Power BI desktop. Row Level Security works completely fine in it.

But the moment I publish it and check the dashboard on app.powerbi.com, data comes out to be BLANK. Also, when I right-click on the dataset and select "security", it says "RLS has moved to Power BI Desktop. Any previously defined RLS security is no longer working. You will need to re-create RLS in Power BI Desktop." 

Does this mean, I will no longer be able to use the RLS I used to use in SSRS Mobile Report Publisher (i.e. ability to manage my data at database-level)? Will I have to explicitly crearte "Roles" in Power BI Desktop to implement RLS?

Please help!

Thanks,

Swapnil

1 REPLY 1
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@swapnilsd08

I think you can vote on this idea for this function. You can define the roles in PBI Desktop in current version.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors