Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nbailey
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS analyze in excel

When trying to test RLS with my manager, we found he is unable to connect to a data source that has RLS, trying both the Analyze in Excel from the PowerBI service as well as the new BI Publisher for Excel.  In both instances with the RLS enabled datasource, an error is received in Excel that says "The following system error occurred:" (no error is actually listed) and then prompts him to log into the service again, which is unsuccessful.

He successfully used both features on a non RLS enabled datasource, so the issue appears to be specific to RLS.

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nbailey,

Currently, there are some limitation with Row level security.

• Analyze in Excel is not currently supported with datasets that use RLS.
  • External sharing is not currently supported with datasets that use RLS.

Please refer to limitation section on the link below.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/

Regards,

Charlie Liao

HI @v-caliao-msft,

You refer to the same article a moderator on the community links to, which is an article discussing the RLS preview that was available in July.  As of the August release, it is now generally available and the release notes contradict what you have stated here.  https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-whats-new/

Note the "Analyze in Excel" section which says "Support for RLS: Once you set up RLS, the rules you apply to the data now flow through when a user analyzes the data in Excel."

Regards,

Nate

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors