Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Quick Insights Gone?

Hello, I just made a new tabular  cube, published as a new data source into the Data Gateway, and sourced it into a new Dashboard, and was expecting to have it give me the opportunity to provide 'Quick insights' so I could pin into the dashbaord and  give me good starter data to work with the new cube. But it's gone. What happened? Is it hidding somewere? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jpquinn Quick Insights is a Service feature.

Did you miss my last post? You won't see it, it can't be used with a Live or Direct Query connection.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@jpquinn Quick Insights is on the dataset. If you go to datasets, click on the "..." under Actions it will be in the drop down. "Get quick insights"

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I go there, and it's simply not an option for me to select, its not a grey out, it;s not there.

I should add, I was originally trying with PBI Service via Web browser, and I just tried with the latest update of PBI Desktop, and I still can't find Quick Insights

@jpquinn Argh, sorry. I didn't read your post carefully enough. Quick Insights isn't supported for Direct Query. That would include Live Connection to your tabular model.

Does Quick Insights exists for when connecting to a cube through the PBI Data Gatreway?

@jpquinn Quick Insights is a Service feature.

Did you miss my last post? You won't see it, it can't be used with a Live or Direct Query connection.

what considered to be a direct query?

I have a pro subscription and I created a report which its dataset is a local SQL server DB connected via Gateway.

I need to use the alerts! what should I do?

and also, it seems there isn't a way to make a scheduled refresh more often than 15 min. is there a different way?thanks.

refresh.png

@ifat_c My last post was from 2017. Quick Insights is a feature that autogenerated visuals based on a dataset, and I'm a bit confused by your "alerts" aspect...

In any case, direct query is likely what you are using since the refresh is just the cached type. If it was import you would just see scheduled refresh.

When you connect to the SQL database, there was a toggle. You can choose direct query, which keeps your data in the database and Power BI will execute the query everytime to pull it through to the visuals. Or, you can use import and ingest the data up front and have it stored in Power BI Service. You would need to change the connection in the Power BI Desktop.

If you do go import, your schedule would be 1x every 30 minutes for up to 8 times per day. Unless you have premium which would give you 48x per day.

Alternatively there is a method to refresh using your own custom built process to run the Power BI API to refresh, that is unlimited.

I'm now using PBI Desktop and have a live connection to the tabular cube, but still cant find Quick Insights

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors