Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question regarding Gateway

Hi all

We build a “Gateway Cluster” (with one Gateway) pointing to a SQL DB in another Azure subscription (the connection is successful!)

We want to connect a PowerBI report “Data Set” to this gateway so we could refresh and see its’ data.

Please advice how?

P.S

I already tried connecting this via the PowerBI desktop but did not see it there

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you create a data source points to SQL Server database in Manage Gateways? 

a1.PNG

If it is, you can go to Dataset Settings page and configure the dataset to use this gateway, then you can turn on schedule refresh. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I created the Gateway pointing to a MS SQL DB (2014) and the connection was successful (I saw it was ok via the "Managed GateWays" option), but the problem remain as I can't connect the data set to the gateway

Hi @Anonymous,

Please open the report in desktop, go to Data Source Settings, check is there any other data source used in the report except the SQL database. 

q2.PNG

All data sources found in the Data source settings above needs to be created in Manage Gateways section on Power BI service. Ensure the connection information eg: server name, database name are the exact same. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, done all that, and I followed the steps in the doc, but the problem remain.

locally i can refresh the report/ data set successfuly.

After uploading it to the PowerBI web site  the refresh failed (I re created all the steps for a new source also)

1.  where are the detailed logs?
  2. the problem is in the Gateway config in the server? or is it in the "Gateway Nanagment" screen?
  3. maybe firewall issue between the gateway and the site?

thanks

Something went wrong

Cannot connect to the server.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID71bf6286-44e5-48e9-a711-b41f5f0bf1e1
Request IDaa44a2f9-0d47-66a3-980a-dc4dc9952a06
Correlation ID84f4bf1e-e916-d90c-b6bf-4ae12498a108
TimeTue May 22 2018 16:44:19 GMT+0300 (Jerusalem Daylight Time)
Version13.0.5391.159

Hi @Anonymous,

You can find detail error message in gateway logs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#tools-for-troubleshooting

Are you able to set the dataset to use the data gateway? Which action you perform cause that error occurs? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors