Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MilesPrower
Regular Visitor

Publishing a single report/dataset/dashboard to multiple viewers but with individual security levels

Hi everyone,

My first question, ever, in a forum so apologies if this is not so neatly expressed.

I need to simply know if its possible to allow a single report (technical multiple but this applies to each of them seperately anyway) to be published using Power BI and to be shared with many different peopel in my company.

However despite this report containing the same dataset for everyone, I need the security to somehow restrict how much data, or what sections of data, each persons report or dashboard shows them.

Is this possibel to achieve in power bi?  A simple way of publishing 1 report, but getting many different views of it from person to person due to individual level security?

Cheers for any help

Miles P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MilesPrower,

It is possible in Power BI. First, you can use Row-level security (RLS) in Power BI desktop, RSL be used to restrict data access for given users. For details, you can refer to this article and this similar thread

Then publish your report to Power BI service, you can use the dataset security. And there is detailed description here.

3.png

Let me know if you have other issues.

Best Regards,

Angelia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MilesPrower,

It is possible in Power BI. First, you can use Row-level security (RLS) in Power BI desktop, RSL be used to restrict data access for given users. For details, you can refer to this article and this similar thread

Then publish your report to Power BI service, you can use the dataset security. And there is detailed description here.

3.png

Let me know if you have other issues.

Best Regards,

Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

Thanks for your help, I have looked into it and thats exactly what I need. I just want to know one more thing about it though that I cant quite get an answer for.

I know I need a Pro account in order for security to work and be put on a report, but for all the people I then give access to the reports when I publish it, will they still see them with security enabled without a Pro account.

I hope that makes sense

Miles

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors