Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Adiuser
Regular Visitor

Publishing Mobile Dashboards to Users

Hi , 

I'm working on a POC and we have developed some mobile dashboards (Mobile Layout) which we want to share with the users to be able to check out these dashabords on thier Mobile devices. However , The users dont have Pro license and we are developing reports only using Pro-license. 

How do we share these mobile dashbaords to users not having Pro license? If I use the 'Publish using Web' feature , they are rendered as normal web/desktop layout reports and not as mobile. 

Is there a way to share Mobile dashboards developed using Pro license to users with absolutely no license to experience the tool and its usability?  Users specifically asked for the Mobile experience.

I do not see a way out! Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Adiuser Yes, Pro license for sharing... and like I said, your end users can try out this feature for free. If you give them the PBIX File. You have the ability to try out every single feature of Power BI for free... you just can't share. The licensing is tied to sharing. So either demo the content on your own phone or give them the content and they can load it into a free workspace and use the app to connect to it... for free.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Adiuser The Power BI App requires that you are using either the Power BI Service or the Power BI Report Server. The Service would require that the end users have a license if you share the content with them. The PBI Report Server "might" be an option if you have SQL Server Enterprise licensing with Software Assurance... sometimes people don't know they are already covered if they have this level of MSFT SQL.

For just a POC, you could give the PBIX file to the end users and have them publish it into their own workspace. Then they would be able to see the experiance in Mobile, but any type of sharing is going to require that they have a license.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for replying. So the bottom line is , the user 'should' have a Pro license atleast to be able to exprience Mobile dashboards?! correct ?  

I tried sharing the reports using 'share via web' option but they dont show up the mobile layouts rather they are just the normal , dekstop reports which can be viewed on a mobile using any browser installed. This seems to be the only viable option now for the user with 'No-license' to check the dashboards.

Tableau offers options like Reader for free , I hope power BI comes up with some option like that for users of this type , who wants to explore pretty much most of the features before investing .

@Adiuser Yes, Pro license for sharing... and like I said, your end users can try out this feature for free. If you give them the PBIX File. You have the ability to try out every single feature of Power BI for free... you just can't share. The licensing is tied to sharing. So either demo the content on your own phone or give them the content and they can load it into a free workspace and use the app to connect to it... for free.

Got it . Thank you !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors