Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SHDJason
Advocate II
Advocate II

Publisher for Excel Connect to Data refresh?

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

Does anyone know if there is refresh capabilities with the new Connect to Data functionality in the Power BI Publisher for Excel?

I see that it works well to pull data, but is that a static pull or does it refresh?  Is it a live connection?  When I open the workbook next week, will the data update or will I have to reconnect to the data again?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually the new blog post i just found answers this question:

"The connection is live, meaning that each interaction on the Pivot table will initiate a query to Power BI to get fresh data."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/analyze-in-excel-from-power-bi-publisher-july-update/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
samdthompson
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

PowerBI will show what ever is currently in the excel file as long as excel is logged into powerBI. If excel has been updated but you are not loggied in then it will not show up.

//please mark as solved if your question has been answered.

// if this is a solution please mark as such. Kudos always appreciated.

I was wondering about the other direction. When I use the new Connect to Data to pull Power BI data into Excel, will Excel update with new Power BI data automatically? I do not see a "Refresh" button.  

Actually the new blog post i just found answers this question:

"The connection is live, meaning that each interaction on the Pivot table will initiate a query to Power BI to get fresh data."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/analyze-in-excel-from-power-bi-publisher-july-update/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors