Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

'Publish to web from Power BI' - end-user requirements

Hi,

I am looking to embed Power BI report into a website. I have read the below (linked) documentation.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/

What are the end-user requirements for them to be able to view the report?

I understand they do not need to be Power BI users. I also understand the end-user needs to be using one of the browsers stated in the below page:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-browser-support/

Do they need to be using a particular operating system (and what version upwards)? Or is it simply as long as the operating system supports one of the required browsers then it doesn't matter what the operating system is?

I understand anyone can view the report, so no Power BI security is applied. In this case, security will need to be applied to the website  - meaning security is applied to which users can access the website.

Any other considerartions I should be aware of when publishing a Power BI report to the web?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous Please read this thread near the end where I just describe why you can't add security to the website and expect that the reports you expose using "Publish to Web" aren't public. It sounds like you are making an incorrect assumption.

Aside from the above, the end user just needs a browser, as that is how they are interacting with the report.

Any other considerartions I should be aware of when publishing a Power BI report to the web?

Yes, if this is company data, stop what you are doing, and pay for the new Power BI Premium Embedded license which should be available. It was just announced this week that it will start at $625/mo. This will allow for a secure means by which you can embed Power BI into an application.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Eno1978.

Having not implemented such a solution as I was enquiring about I wasn't aware of a share button, and neither was I aware of the URL, that is created along with the embed code, being discoverable regardless of it being shared. This indeed makes it unsecure to the determined.

I believe the aim was to embed a report into an exisiting website. This website has security (only people with the correct credentials) can access the website. The thinking was the report would be secure. It seems not.

I am aware of Power BI Premium and it is something I have suggested to the powers that be. In doing some further reading on 'Power BI Embedded' it does sound just the ticket.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors