Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Public Shared Workspaces

I have created a new Shared Workspace and when creating it I selected the privacy setting of "Public - Anyone can see what's inside".

According to the documenation here (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-create-a-group-in-power-bi/), when I create a shared workspace using this setting

Public: People in your organization can make themselves members of the group, without needing permission from an admin. As soon as they're members, they have the same permissions that other group members have.

My question is how to people who are not members of this group, make themselves a member?

Can people who are in our O365 but do not have a Pro License access this content?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

5 REPLIES 5

@Phil_Seamark So I just briefly tested this against another co-worker who created some test Power BI Groups. We have the full suite of Office tools, so I don't know how much of this applies. But I clicked on the grid in the upper left to access my other services. Clicked on People - Groups - "more" (at the bottom) - Discover. This popped up the search finder. I then selected a group I knew was public and when i clicked join, I was prompted to send the owner a message submitting a request to join. So.. it would appear that you need to approve any user who requests to join your public group. After acceptance, then obviously they would see any reports in your group if they had a Power BI license as well.

So long/short. Looks like this is only on the office side, and you still need to approve. Private groups, you don't have the option to join. I'd be interested if there are other ways as Groups are all over the place, but this is what I experianced.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hmm, thanks for looking.  I don't have those options so we may not have the ability to join shared workspaces just using Power BI

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark, I think what @Seth_C_Bauer suggested should work for you. You can follow the steps below (with @Seth_C_Bauer suggested):

1). Ask your team members to open Outlook on the web.

2). Go to Groups -> Discover:

PowerBIGroup.png

3). Select the group and click Join.

You can also check this article for the detailed information.

Hi Vicky,

That looks good but I we don't have access to the mail app.  We just get an error.  I suspect it doesn't play nicely with our existing mail system so our IT Admins have disabled that feature.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hmmm...this may help. We granted access to our dashboard to all users (using a Security Group) but did not send email. Then we published the URL of the Dashboard on the company Intranet site. Users just click on this URL to get access.

After they've clicked once, the Dashboard also shows up in PowerBI.com so they can choose to go directly to PowerBI.com and open the Dashboard instead of going via the Intranet site.
You can send the Dashboard Link that users can click to get accessYou can send the Dashboard Link that users can click to get access

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors