Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MartinSch
Frequent Visitor

Problem with filtered report since January 2018 update

We are using a Power BI direct query report with filters.

it worked until the januari 2018 update.

Now when applying a report level filter, the report doesn't return data and returns an error.

setup: SQl Azure (data warehouse), Direct Query (table)

Filter is on a data field that is not on the report.

Data visualization is table or matrix.  Filter was original Slicer but also fails with report filter.

- with no value selected in the filter data shows o.k., if a value is selected in the filter the report fails to retrieve data.

- message: Can't display the Visual / Couldn't load the data for this visual.

This behaviour is since few days in the service and in the desktop version after installing the januari 2018 update.

as a temporary workaround i added the field being filtered on to the report and the filter works again.

..but i don't want to show the field on the report..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@tdewittorion Sure helps, thx. Found other similar issues on directquery problems too. Hope for a quick solution.

edit:

installing new Power BI desktop version 2.54.4970.961 as suggested for your ticket solved my problem! 😉

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
daveskoster

I've got a similar issue. With the new version, I'm not getting the slicers to appear as more than ghost boxes in the Power BI Desktop client. I'm connected up to a data-cube in analysis services. I didn't bother trying to publish the report. I reverted to the last release to continue working, hopefully sombody over at Microsoft will have a harder look at this and get it sorted out before the next release. This is a pretty major problem.

I found a link for reporting a ticket and submitted my issue.  There was a moderator response.

Link for the Issue forum.

Hope that helps!

Todd

@tdewittorion Sure helps, thx. Found other similar issues on directquery problems too. Hope for a quick solution.

edit:

installing new Power BI desktop version 2.54.4970.961 as suggested for your ticket solved my problem! 😉

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MartinSch,

I was not able to replicate the same problem as yours. Below is the result in my test, my desktop version is January 2018.

Filter in desktop.

2.PNG

Filter in service.

1.PNG

What is your data source type? Could you filter data successfully in desktop? Have you tried to re-publish .pbix file to service for a test?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana Gu,

source is SQL data warehouse, with direct query on one table. republished several times.

i recreated the report completely and tested in desktop nov 2017 and jan 2018 versions with a subset of the table.

Nov 2017 version shows data, in jan 2018 version it does not with the filter active. 

First i hoped the visualization type was the cause (selecting the grid in designer did not select a visualization) but the behaviour remains with new selected. so for now i am still stuck...

regards, Martin

desktop nov 2017 with filterdesktop nov 2017 with filterdesktop jan 2018 versiondesktop jan 2018 versiondesktop jan 2018 after removing filterdesktop jan 2018 after removing filter

I have noticed this too!  

SQL Azure, Direct query.  Works fine on desktop (december 2017 version).  Very inconsistent on service (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't).

How can this be raised as a confirmed bug?

@maximus12 what if you update to januari 2018 desktop version? if the report then fails i hope it is considered a confirmed bug..

@tdewittorion and others - if somebody can recreate the bug would be very appreceated. also if somebody else has the same setup working just fine.. (online and desktop januari 2018)

setup:

SQl Azure (data warehouse), Direct Query (table)

problem with filter on a field that is not in the report

Data visualization table or matrix.  Data filter is Slicer visualization (original) or report filter (also fails)

- with no value selected in the filter data shows o.k., if a value is selected in the filter the report fails to retrieve data.

..and yes, there is data in the source matching the filter criteria 😉

@MartinSch, I can recreate your issue in Chrome.  Multiple users in my organization.  AZURE with January installs.  For filters, I had items selected, unselected, could not reselect.  No issue with data retrieval.

I am having a similar issue as well.

Google Chrome:

Cannot select Slicers in reports.  The Slicers act as if they are locked.  Dropdowns populate with data, but check boxes are unaccessible.

Filters initially worked when entering a report.  After a few clicks, the filters stopped working.  Every once in a while, a single option will select/deselect.  However, not with any frequency and after a considerable amount of clicks.

Microsoft Edge:

Both filters and Slicers work correctly.

Thanks!

Todd

Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

I reinstalled the Desktop using the most recent version and republished without success.

Only affecting the Online version.  Desktop works fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors