Regular Visitor
Accepted Solution

Problem having both Personal and On Premise Gateway? - why? R Script requirement

Hi everyone. I am having trouble to define my architecture with a new requirement of my boss. Let me give some context.

I am running an on premise gateway with sql server, mysql and excel files in three different files. Now a requirement arrives and forced me to use R script for Data entry (no other way to do it). So I created a new file with this solution and stuck in de refresh. The only way to refresh R is with personal gateway.

Can I install Personal Gateway in the same server that has On Premise Gateway? How should I proceed with this if I only have one server available?

Should I migrate all the other models to upgrade with Personal Gateway?

Regards,

Pi Data Strategy & Consulting

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem having both Personal and On Premise Gateway? - why? R Script requirement

Hi @ibarrau,

As you use the R script to get data, to refresh on Power BI service, you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where R is installed; the Power BI service must access that workbook and re-render any updated visuals. See: Creating visuals from R script data.

You can install the personal gateway on the same machine which hosts the on-premise data gateway. To install personal gateway, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Problem having both Personal and On Premise Gateway? - why? R Script requirement

Hi @ibarrau,

As you use the R script to get data, to refresh on Power BI service, you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where R is installed; the Power BI service must access that workbook and re-render any updated visuals. See: Creating visuals from R script data.

You can install the personal gateway on the same machine which hosts the on-premise data gateway. To install personal gateway, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Regular Visitor

Thanks Qiuyun Yu, it seems to be there is no longer problem with this. It broke so many times in the past that I was afraid to test it. Now is so much stable. I run both gateways on the same machine without problems.

Pi Data Strategy & Consulting