Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Problem having both Personal and On Premise Gateway? - why? R Script requirement

Hi everyone. I am having trouble to define my architecture with a new requirement of my boss. Let me give some context.

I am running an on premise gateway with sql server, mysql and excel files in three different files. Now a requirement arrives and forced me to use R script for Data entry (no other way to do it). So I created a new file with this solution and stuck in de refresh. The only way to refresh R is with personal gateway.

Can I install Personal Gateway in the same server that has On Premise Gateway? How should I proceed with this if I only have one server available?

Should I migrate all the other models to upgrade with Personal Gateway?

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ibarrau,

As you use the R script to get data, to refresh on Power BI service, you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where R is installed; the Power BI service must access that workbook and re-render any updated visuals. See: Creating visuals from R script data.

You can install the personal gateway on the same machine which hosts the on-premise data gateway. To install personal gateway, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ibarrau,

As you use the R script to get data, to refresh on Power BI service, you need a Personal Gateway installed on the machine where the file is located, and where R is installed; the Power BI service must access that workbook and re-render any updated visuals. See: Creating visuals from R script data.

You can install the personal gateway on the same machine which hosts the on-premise data gateway. To install personal gateway, see: Power BI Gateway - Personal.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu

Thanks Qiuyun Yu, it seems to be there is no longer problem with this. It broke so many times in the past that I was afraid to test it. Now is so much stable. I run both gateways on the same machine without problems.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors