Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srinivasC
Regular Visitor

PowerBI Pro content and publish to web inSharePoint Embed (online)

Hi,

I have developed PoweBI Pro content dashboard with my pro license. And, I have published to the web in SharePoint online. 

I heard this dashboard content will be viewed by anyone on the internet. And, it is security compliance. But, I can meet this problem by providing few users access to the SharePoint online site using user setting access.

Will that not suffice from protecting anonymous users? 

Regards

Srini

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@srinivasC The URL you generate is what is wide open. If someone gets their hands on the URL, then they can automatically see your report. I'm currently trying to get a better answer from my security experts of how easy this would be for someone with malicious intent get just to re-inforce this point because it keeps coming up.

All I can say is, there is a reason that there is a warning in bold at the top of the article describing this feature. If you generate it, assume that you are exposing your data publically. 

There is no protection/security just because you embed that URL behind a sharepoint login.

Test: Take th URL code that is generated and paste it into the browser of a new browser even an incognito browser. Boom -> There is your report, all somone needs to do is build something to find them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@srinivasC The URL you generate is what is wide open. If someone gets their hands on the URL, then they can automatically see your report. I'm currently trying to get a better answer from my security experts of how easy this would be for someone with malicious intent get just to re-inforce this point because it keeps coming up.

All I can say is, there is a reason that there is a warning in bold at the top of the article describing this feature. If you generate it, assume that you are exposing your data publically. 

There is no protection/security just because you embed that URL behind a sharepoint login.

Test: Take th URL code that is generated and paste it into the browser of a new browser even an incognito browser. Boom -> There is your report, all somone needs to do is build something to find them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors