Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xabikos
Frequent Visitor

Power Bi embedded schema based multi tenancy

schemaBasedTenants.PNGWe are currently evaluating the Power BI embedded platform in the context of a cloud based solution we offered to our clients. Our software is multi-tenant and to achieve this one we use database schema based isolation. This means that many tenants share one database and each tenant has a dedicated schema as you can see in the picture on the left.

For every tenant we have a dedicated workspace inside a single workspace collection. Our workflow is to design the reports against the dbo schema and then upload the pbix file in all the workpspaces in order to make it available for all the tenants. So far we haven't found a way to update the report's datasource to point in the correct schema. As far as I know there is the option to update the connection string via the rest api after you upload the report but there you can't set the schema.

On top of that we also tried to create a database user for each tenant and assing this user to only access this schema. Then when we updated the datasource we set as credentials the one from the database user, hopping that the database would point to the report to the correct schema but this didn't work either.

Does anyone has faced something similar or have any idea how we could bypass this issue?

13 REPLIES 13
varshaneelesh

I was looking at a very similar usecase for myself. I found this link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-iframe, which explains how you can change the datasource config after the report is uploaded into the workspace. See the section "Data source connectivity (and multi-tenancy of data)".

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply @varshaneelesh 

We know about the change datasource functionality but it's limited when it comes to change the schema. For example you can design a report against "dbo" schema and then once uploaded to change the datasource to point to "tenantx" schema.

In any case we chose to use elastic pool and have one database per tenant which makes the entire set up much easier.

Hi all - 

has this issue / feature been addressed in the meanwhile? I am trying to find out how to use Power BI Embedded with a single workspace to access a single database using multiple schemas (for multi-tenancy). 

Thanks!

Hello @sjungels 

I don't think something has changed regarding this one. 

As mentioned above we finally used a separate dataase per tenant in the context of an elastic pool which is much easier to understand and maintain. 

GvA
Regular Visitor

Hi,

we are facing the exact same issue. We have addressed this to Microsoft.

So far we only received (non relevant) RLS tips. We have rephrased the question and submitted it again a couple of days ago.

No reaction so far. I will post the reaction as soon as we receive one.

I think the use case for RLS and Schemas are very different. Schemas as far as I know (please correct me and point me to the documentation) don't enforce row level security. Meaning, any user with access to a specific schema sees the same data as other users with access to the schema. RLS solves the next problem - within a given table, showing just the rows a user has permission to see to that user. SQL Server does not let you control the schema in the connection string (as far as I know the default schema is tied to the logged in user identity). If your queries in the report are written to avoid selecting a specific schema (e.g. don't use dbo.xxxx) you should be able to use the user account to ensure the connection to SQL Server cannot access other parts of your database. I've not tried this, but if you publish to reports in two workspaces, and point them both to the same sql server with different sql users (who have appropriate schema defined) it would probably work. If you're isolating content based on schema, then the reports you build will only contain entities from an individual schema. So I'm actually not sure what using a default schema in this way buys you. You can achieve the same with just having sql user account with only permission to specific schemas. From the user perspective you can give the user a token granting access to a specific report. If the report is built using a specific schema, then it will never issue queries to another schema. Any additional details on your scenario would be appreciated.

Hi @lukaszp, thanks for your reply. The way you describe works indeed, but only when you use written out SQL statements in the data sources without typing the schema name. When a table or view is selected in the data source wizard, its schema name is also included in the data source. When I remove the schema from the source in the advanced editor and I save the report as a pbix file, the schema name seems to remain applied. I notice this in two ways: 

When I publish the pbix file in a workspace with a sql user which has access to the specific schema (same tenant), it works. When I publish the pbix file in a wokspace with a sql user which has access to a different schema (another tenant), it doesn't.

The other way is when I open the pbix file in a text editor, I can see the schema name in a number of lines (between lots of unreadable characters).

RLS has nothing to do with this, the question is how can I design a schema independent report on a database with schema based tenant isolation, without using written out SQL statements?

Thanks for clarifying. Let me see if I can track down an answer.

Hi All, We also are facing the same issue, as rightly said by @TvB changing user credentials, removing schema definition from advanced query editor nothing works as of now.

Just a suggestion if this works for you (please check the secuity aspect) you can use sql level filtering on the basis of some parameters while designing the report to see data relevant to a tenant and then disable the filters and visualization options from JavaScript while rendering the embedded report.

I checked up on this - we don't support changing the schema the way you're trying to use it. You should use row level security. Please not that row level security allows you to set security filters in the App Token generated by your application. The application should create tokens in the backend (not in the JavaScript so that your keys stay secure). You should not use JavaScript filtering API as a security primitive - since it's client side someone could edit the filters supplied inflight to the server. The information stored in the App Token (username, collection of roles) is signed by your app's key so it cannot be tampered. You can read about App Tokens here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-app-token-flow
GvA
Regular Visitor

Hi,

we are facing the exact same issue. We have addressed this to Microsoft.

So far we only received (non relevant) RLS tips. We have rephrased the question and submitted it again a couple of days ago.

No reaction so far. I will post the reaction as soon as we receive one.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xabikos,

In this scenario, I would suggest you to create a new schema to put all data into it, and design reports against this schema, then use Row level security with Power BI to restrict user access to particular data within a report or dataset, allowing for multiple different users to use the same report while all seeing different data. 

Reference:

Row level security with Power BI Embedded

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI

Regards

Hello @v-ljerr-msft and thanks a lot for the answer.

Maybe the question was not entirely clear but for our use case Row Level Security is not a option for us, at least for now. Maybe in the end we will be forced to do that but we have strong doubts about this solution, not only for data isolation but for scaling reasons as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors